Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Zucchini with Mint Garlic Tomato Sauce page

fieldofroses1 is offline Member

Stuffed Zucchini with Mint Garlic Tomato Sauce

Shop Now

Post link: http://paleomiddleeastern.blog.com/2...-tomato-sauce/

Stuffed Zucchini is a traditional dish often made for special occasions. Rice is usually an ingredient in the stuffing, as well as Burgul wheat and roasted wheat berries. This is the low carb version. Very delecious ground beef with tomato, onion, parsley and spices baked in mint garlic tomato sauce. I have to say, this was surprisingly GUUUUUUUUUD. Here is what you’ll need:

Zucchini
    8 Large Zucchinis, I used both green and yellow
    vegetable corer*

Clean the zucchini’s with warm water. Remove the stem and core using a vegetable corer. This is the time consuming part of the dish, the zucchini’s are delicate and you have to core them gently. Make sure you leave at least 1/4 inch of the core left so the zucchini’s can hold the stuffing in while cooking. When done, rinse out with water and let dry while you prepare the stuffing.

Stuffing
    2 Lbs ground beef
    2 TB olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1.5 tsp all spice
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    pinch nutmeg
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 small tomato, finely chopped
    1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped

In a sautee pan, sautee onions on medium high heat in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add beef, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook beef for 10-15 minutes mixing the beef mixture until the water has completely evaporated and meat starts to brown. Remove from heat, add parsley and tomato and allow mixture to cool while you prepare the tomato sauce.

Tomato Sauce
    2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomato
    1/2 head garlic or 6 large cloves
    1TB dried mint
    2 TB olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

In a blender, add the diced tomatoes and give it a whirl. If you have canned tomato puree on hand, you can use it.
    In a sauce pan, heat olive oil on Medium High Heat and fry garlic until it starts to brown.
    Add tomato puree with mint, salt and pepper and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.

Stuffing the Zucchini
    Divide the stuffing meat mixture into 4 portions.
    Divide each portion into 2 smaller portions. Take one cored zucchini and stuff the meat mixture gently inside. I usually use my hands or you can use a spoon. Make sur it goes all the way to the bottom, but careful not to break the zucchini. The stuffing should reach all the way to the top. Continue with the rest of the zucchini’s. If you have left over stuffing add it to the tomato sauce.

Baking
    Heat oven to 350.
    In an oven roasting pan lined with aluminum foil place the stuffed zucchini’s, pour tomato sauce on top and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving dish.NJOY.

*Here is a picture of a similar corer I use
    Dayna's Market - Mediterranean
    Here is a youtube video showing you how to core the zucchini’s
    YouTube - Kussa (Lebanese style stuffed zucchini with rice and ground beef)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i want to put my mouth all over that.

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Stuffed Zucchini was one of my favorite things to get at this Middle Eastern restaurant that I moved too far away from in August. And it wasn't Primal anyway. I think I love you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i want to put my mouth all over that.
    The zucchini's are blushing............

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
    Stuffed Zucchini was one of my favorite things to get at this Middle Eastern restaurant that I moved too far away from in August. And it wasn't Primal anyway. I think I love you for this.
    I think I love you for the lovely comment, I hope you try it soon, let me know. If you want to save time, just cut the zucchini's in half length wise, core them and stuff with the meat and continue with the recipe. have a fab. weekend.

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    You might be able to answer this question. The same place that did the stuffed zucchini I loved so much also did a lemon cauliflower stew. It seems like it was at least part a yogurt base--a really creamy and tangy (but not sweet at all) stew with a delicate yellow color, full of roasted cauliflower (and potatoes, but I'd probably just replace those with chicken). I've found a few recipes that claimed to be it, but most of them had tahini in them, and this stuff didn't have tahini in it as far as I could tell. I'd love to find out what it really is--they just call it "Lemon Cauliflower Stew" and it's incredibly good. Any idea on what that recipe might have been?

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
    You might be able to answer this question. The same place that did the stuffed zucchini I loved so much also did a lemon cauliflower stew. It seems like it was at least part a yogurt base--a really creamy and tangy (but not sweet at all) stew with a delicate yellow color, full of roasted cauliflower (and potatoes, but I'd probably just replace those with chicken). I've found a few recipes that claimed to be it, but most of them had tahini in them, and this stuff didn't have tahini in it as far as I could tell. I'd love to find out what it really is--they just call it "Lemon Cauliflower Stew" and it's incredibly good. Any idea on what that recipe might have been?
    It really would depend on the owner of the place. THis dish doesn't really ring a bell, at least not in my household. If the owner was lebanese or JOrdanian, this might've been a regional dish they grew up but its not popularized. The delicate yellow color would have to come from turmeric, which is often used to give rice a distinctive color. I'll as to see if my family has heard of it. sorry I couldn't help much.....

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    This is the single most gorgeous, exciting recipe I've seen in a very long time! And it gives me ideas, too! I'll make enchiladas using this concept. Thank you!
    Little Saiyan

Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    This is the single most gorgeous, exciting recipe I've seen in a very long time! And it gives me ideas, too! I'll make enchiladas using this concept. Thank you!
    You're welcome, I'm gald you're inspired to create your own recipe...

KellyS is offline Member
    Absolutely love your blog/recipes. Please keep inspiring us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast