Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut oil=acne, flu-like symptoms?!? page

shannonstoney is offline Member

coconut oil=acne, flu-like symptoms?!?

Primal Fuel
    I love coconut oil. I crave coconut oil. But coconut oil seems to be making me and my partner sick.

We ate a lot of it a week or so ago, meaning we cooked with it at every meal. I had been doing this for a while, when I was at my farm, but he hadn't. He promptly came down with flu-like symptoms: fatigue, sore throat, achy muscles. This lasted two days.

Earlier, I had noticed the fatigue after, say, 2-3 T of coconut oil in a day. But my main symptom is aggravation of my rosacea to the point that it looks like ordinary acne. I am 57 years old, and my skin is actually dry, even where the acne is!

I have read about Herxheimer reactions, which this must be. But how to deal with it and still get the healing goodness of EVCO? I have reduced my dose to 1/8 tsp/day, as of today. This seems ridiculously small. But when I took 1/4 tsp two days ago, I got dizzy and tired, and two days later the rosacea rash came back.

Just wondering if anybody has any idea what's going on here and how to deal with it.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Is it refined or unrefined? From what I've gathered, unrefined shouldn't give you any issues. Refined does. IDK if that helps or not. Honestly, if I were in your boat, and if it's unrefined doing this to you, I would just stop using it altogether.

It's unrefined expeller pressed virgin coconut oil, whole foods brand.

These symptoms eventually went away! Now I am up to a teaspoon of coconut oil every day, with no further outbreaks of rosacea, and no more fatigue and flu-like symptoms.

So I think it was some sort of Herxheimer reaction. It went on for a long time, almost six weeks.

primalmonalisa is offline Junior Member
    I went thru the same thing...coconut oil can produce detox symptoms from what I have read But, I see you said it has passed...Good Luck

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Coconut Oil is a great anti-fungal. You probably had some fungal thing going down there in your guts and you were getting some classic die-off reactions. ...they are the exact reactions people who are overcoming Candida (yeast overgrowth) get when using coconut oil.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yup, sounds like die-off to me. Lauric acid in coconut=chemical warfare on baddies . Raw garlic might help things along. If you need some baddies killed that's your go-to right there. Or tea tree oil. Anything to get things over with.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    What exactly is the difference between refined and non? Is is more than just filtering out the chunks?

I'm happy to say that the acne and flu symptoms are completely gone and I'm up to four teaspoons a day now. My rosacea is a lot better too. Hurray for coconut oil!

primalcurves is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love coconut oil and I now use it a lot. It has so many benefits. I also use it to moisturize my face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast