Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Sources of Calories page

Good Sources of Calories

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I logged my foods for today on FitDay, hoping to keep track of the carb amounts to see what bracket I'm falling into. What I found, however, was that I'm really low in quite a few different categories.

For breakfast, lunch, and my snack, I have 879 Calories, 71.9 grams of fat, 16.3 carbs, and 46.8 grams of protein.

I was trying to troubleshoot why I'm always tired. Especially since going Primal, I've been going to bed earlier and being sleepier in the evenings.

Breakfast this morning was off because my whole morning routine was cut off, but I had some sunflower and sesame crackers with almond butter for breakfast. I normally have fruit for breakfast; a few pieces of pineapple, apples, cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, or any combination of the above. Lunch is almost always leftover dinner; so a piece of meat, and crudload of veggies (probably size wise two to three times the amount of the meat). I try and alternate my proteins, most commonly boneless/skinless chicken breast, pork chops, steaks, and lamb steaks. I'm working on increasing the variety, slowly but surely.

So, my big question is, how do I get more energy? I was assuming calories through fat, but apparently I need more sources as I'm not consuming enough (of something, at least). What else do you guys add? I would be seriously hurt (read, delighted) if I could afford to throw more almond butter on my crackers ^-^

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdanelover View Post

Breakfast this morning was off because my whole morning routine was cut off, but I had some sunflower and sesame crackers with almond butter for breakfast. I normally have fruit for breakfast; a few pieces of pineapple, apples, cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, or any combination of the above.
    this only got you 16 g of carbs?

i would suggest losing the fruit and putting something with more protein and fat in it's place. personally, i think eggs are best, but you could play around. eggs, meat and veggies with extra fat sources are the way to go. you'll be full longer, with more energy, and if you are keeping the carbs low your body will use its fat stores for more energy

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been eating primal? You may not yet be adapted to eating low carb, and low energy is a classic symptom of the transition between being a sugar burner and being a fat burner. You just have to stick with the program and wait it out. For most people, this takes 2 weeks or less. For some (including me), it can take up to a couple months.

Is that 879 your total calorie intake for the most of the day? If so, no wonder you don't have energy. EAT MORE. More of everything, including carbs. Even for rapid fat loss, 50g/day is fine. That's total carbs, not net. (If you're eating nuts and fruit and coming in at 16g, I wonder if you're calculating net carbs?? Or are your servings tiny?)

Anyway, bigger servings of meat. An extra Tbs of butter or olive oil on the veggies. Eggs. Fish. Avocado slices. Easy. (Sorry, but I wouldn't go the extra-almond-butter route. Not the best micro- or macronutrient bargain for your carb and O-6 buck.)
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-01-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Well, this morning didn't include any fruit like I normally do, so I normally have more carbs/calories in the morning. Without the fruit this am, I'm dragging worse than normal. Thing is, I'm not really hungry, so I was looking for things to substitute for what I'm already eating so I'll have more energy.

I already sautee all my veggies in butter and either sesame or olive oil.

The 879 is everything but dinner, so yes, most of the day. Fruit servings are a probably 3 2x2" pieces of pineapple and melon, 3-4 apple slices, 5-6 grapes, and I haven't calculated what all that would come out to. I eat until full, and have noticed that's about what it takes.

GTG to lunch, I'll post more when I get back

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    It's really important to start your day off with protein and fat.... eggs ftw

When I first started primal I would also go to sleep earlier, but I wasn't tired during the day... maybe it's part of adjusting, maybe you need to eat more.

If you're full on 879 calories... what is your age/height/gender?
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 04-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Yikes!

Too much high-fructose fruit, omega 6 heavy meat/nuts!

How about something more like this:

3 eggs cooked w/butter or lard or coconut oil & veggies (or sour cream & salsa--my faves!)
    Meat/Fish & salad or veggies (x2)

Berries (lower fructose) and cream or cottage cheese for a snack--if needed. (or one small handful of macadamias, almonds or walnuts, if you aren't doing dairy)

Emphasize grass-fed (if you can afford it) beef or lamb over poultry. And def eat the skin/fat when you eat chicken!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    IIf you're full on 879 calories... what is your age/height/gender?
    Seriously! I'm female, 5'3", 120 lean pounds. 879 calories is dinner! LOL

Okay, granted my metabolism is healthy and I'm not trying to lose bodyfat, but this really isn't a lot of food to get a person through to dinner, particularly if you're not adapted to low carb. I know I ate a lot more for my first several months of being primal, then my appetite naturally dropped off as my body figured out how to use fat for energy.

Also, I agree with Dragonfly -- easy on the seeds, nuts, and fruit! More fat early in the day, instead of sugar (fruit). Personally, I'm not a big fan of dairy unless it's organic heavy cream, fermented, or butter.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Okay, I can access the site from my phone, yay.

So start off with protein and cancel a lot of the fruit. Do strawberries count as berries, or are we talking blueberries, raspberries, etc? I'll try and pick up some coconut oil and cook my eggs in that, along with some/most veggies I was planning on making coconut "bark" as well with some kind of fruit in it. Guessing blueberries?

EDIT: (back on the computer)

Oh, cream cheese is in, that's good to know. Still waiting on the yes or no for strawberries, as I have no clue how to eat cream cheese if it's not on a bagel! Thinking dipping fruit in it?? There I go with the fruit again -sigh- Would it be a good thing to mix in with a smoothie? (I have no idea how to make smoothies....but have been considering it)

Age, 22, height 5'4, gender female.

Come to think of it, I think most of my life has either been low on calories, or good on calories, but super high in sugars and bouncing all over the place with blood sugar levels. I've always been tired, so much so that my mom thought I was anemic. Seems I have to re-learn how to eat. I've never been a calorie counter, and don't really wanna start now, but I suppose I should keep an eye on them until I get in better ranges and can accurately eat right without having to count.
    Last edited by greatdanelover; 04-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I've never been a calorie counter, and don't really wanna start now, but I suppose I should keep an eye on them until I get in better ranges and can accurately eat right without having to count.
    If you keep your nuts, fruit and higher carb dairy to a minimum, you likely won't overeat.

Oh, I thought the problem was under-eating.....

Well, I'll take out my fruit in the am, switch for protein (like eggs done in coconut oil), and maybe have some berries with my lunches, and see what that does for me. And have something fattier, meat wise, for dinner. Did I miss anything/should be trying anything else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast