Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk - blech! help! page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I am a little disappointed. I bought some organic coconut milk at the weekend and had high hopes of loving getting some more fat in my daily eating schedule.

It's awful. Don't get me wrong, I love coconut, the oil is great. But the milk was so awful I had to spit it out. I'm not a fussy eater, there is nothing that I can think of that I don't like to eat. But this? Yuck.

I would love to try it again, but I'm struggling to think what to do it in a Primal way that would make me be able to swallow it. It's so greasy and tastes neither sweet nor savoury.

Can anybody help? BTW, I'm not very good with fruit - it really throws me out of whack as my body justs goes into overdrive and I'm hungry minutes later.

misathemeb is offline Member

i'd add some ice and stevia if you can't mix in some berries. OR...you could use a whey powder like vanilla and make a coconut smoothie out of it!

gazb is offline Junior Member

Make Thai style curry with it? That's not exactly an easy way to get it in daily though. To be honest there's plenty other, and cheaper, fat sources out there.

I can easily drink coconut milk on its own, but as I say it's a bit pricey for it to be a staple. I tried it in coffee and it was horrible.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

There are repeated anecdotes here of individuals reacting very negatively to CM. Now, individual taste for something like coconut itself is, um, uh, individual. But to spit it out? And being all saturated fats, rancidity should be out of the question.

I'd try another brand, if you can. Whole Foods 365 Organic and Thai Kitchen are two reliable ones and widely available.

I have the opposite problem. I could drink a can at a sitting, easily. All 700 calories!

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I'm a big fan of Goya brand. It's thick, creamy, and contains no additives. It's also the cheapest on the shelf, usually.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Actually, Goya does not use a thickener, but it does use potassium bisulphite to keep it white. And I have to take exception about being thick and creamy, it is the least so of the many brands I've tried. That's the result of not having an emulsifier.

Just had some with my homemade yogurt.

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

Don't despair. Try every brand that is available in your area. I've tried 6 or 7, and none are the same! Big difference in taste (some are pretty "blech"), richness (some say "milk" but are as rich as other brands of coconut cream), and formulation (some have emulsifiers and/or thickeners). Also note what it does when it cools in the fridge. Depending on your needs, it may matter.

So anyway, for all over taste and usefulness, I prefer JFC brand. It has the emulsifier and guar gum, but it is delicious straight up and also just right for coffee or for pouring over berries. I store it in a glass jar with a metal lid/handle - the kind that is designed for syrups I think. It's exactly the right size for a can of CM.

Other brands are best left for cooking. I like the taste of Goya as well, but it isn't thickened/emulsified. If you want just regular plain stuff, try that one.

maba is offline Senior Member

You can make Primal coconut pancakes or a Thai-style soup or just mix it with eggs to make scrambled eggs.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Thank you everyone. I feel like I'm a bit of a weirdo, having such a strong reaction to the taste of the coconut milk. I think I'll give it one more try and then just grab a handful of nuts to up my fat intake instead, rather than trying (and wasting) every beand unuder the sun. Luckily for me, I'm tending to eat less calories than I know I did before PB, so it won't cause a problem.

Still, it's really frustrating!

JamieBelle is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

What brand did you try? I've had a couple brands that were basically thin in their texture and a little sour tasting. But Thai Kitchen brand (the organic full fat one) is so yummy I could chug the entire can.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast