Thread: Squat and groin problems... page

Conner P. is offline Senior Member

Squat and groin problems...

Primal Fuel
    So, I have been having problems with being able to do squats. I have been trying in the 135lb range. I try to go at least parallel, keep my back straight, and drive my ass straight up (like rippetoe's videos). But I keep running into problems with my left groin--everything else is fine. I used to be able to squat 285 a couple years ago when I played football (didn't quite make it to parallel though) so I am not really new to squatting. Also, I can get into a Grok squat no problem. Does anyone have any recommendations to help me get past this damn problem? I hate not being able to do my beloved squats

I suppose I should also mention I have had trouble with my left hip feeling like it needs to pop/crack, but I have only been able to make that happen once.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I'm not really sure. Maybe check your foot placement.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting your knees out enough/keeping things aligned properly in the legs? Flopping in can mess you up, especially if you're letting your feet roll in and not driving through the heel properly along with it. Also, some hip mobility work might help. A lot of people get really caught up on lifting and forget to work on flexibility/mobility.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Not to highjack, but I have been pushing my knees out when squatting at I've heard many people say that it's important, but is it possible to overdo it? I get a wicked stretch where my glutes and hamstrings meet when I go low and push my knees out, feels like they're about to pop sometimes. Should I not push my knees out quite so much?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't be pushing them out past the line of your feet or forcing your whole leg into an extreme turnout. The idea is to keep things in line, not pop your hip out of the socket ; )
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    The groin and hip pain could possibly be an inguinal hernia. If you haven't had a physical in a while, then you might want to have a doctor check it out. It should be something that simple physical exam can diagnose. Just the old, turn your head and cough routine.

I know I am pushing from my heels. My feet are either right under my shoulders or a smidge outside ducked out about 30 degrees. And I doubt it is a hernia, it is more toward my leg than my crotch, and I have been having issues with the joint (as in the socket) itself.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    What are you doing to warm up? I personally need to do a LOT of dynamic work for my adductors before squatting.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

I do 10-20 bodyweight squats to check my form, do about 10 with just the bar, and then move onto weights on the bar.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    I do 10-20 bodyweight squats to check my form, do about 10 with just the bar, and then move onto weights on the bar.
    I would do some of these plus some lying leg adduction in your warm-ups. It helps me a lot.

I also agree with Owly.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates