Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me about seaweed page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Educate me about seaweed

Shop Now
    I like the idea of getting iodine via seaweed (food) rather than supps. However, I've never been a huge fan of the flavor. It's extremely salty and fishy to me...but maybe I'll be fine with it now, as it has been quite a few years since I tried it.

If you use seaweed, what do you do with it? What kind should I look for? I poked around a health food store yesterday and found myself rather confused by the different options...

Help?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    I just soak it in water(it softens up very quickly) and then throw it in a blender with other veggies and some fruit.

Because it can be so salty I wonder if you could grate it up somehow and sprinkle it on stuff, use it as a topping in salads or something.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Raphaella. I'm not much of a smoothie person (particularly since I don't eat fruit often), but I like the idea of sprinkling a bit on salads.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Nanzi is offline Senior Member
    What kinds are you eating? I had a shredded one from the Asian store and it was ok......in small amounts. More, and it was not pleasant tasting. And I love sushi, so am familiar with nori at least. I guess we will both be eating sashimi, with an avacado salad & soup now. He always gets sashimi, but I really love the rolls. Might still once in a blue moon, but the sashimi is so good too. Such delicate flavors.
    My Asian store had loads of different kinds of seaweed. I'll hve to write down some of the names and run them by y'all here. And I'm out of wasabi powder for our Salmon sashimi we do here at home. Love raw salmon, it is downright creamy tasting. And we're overdue to have it.
    Nanzi

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Nori is the dried square (often roasted) sheets that you roll sushi in. So you can wrap anything you like in them, or scrunch them as salad toppings... be aware it absorbs water so can be a bit "drying" if you eat it straight from the packet (like crackers are).

Wakame is also dried, but is in a shredded form. This I soak briefly (you only need a small amount, it really rehydrates!!) then use in stir fries. I also used to use it in a millet/chickpea stew, and it was good for adding depth of flavour to such a bland dish.

Kombu is dried, wavy-shaped, thick "slabs". This is usually used as flavouring in soups and stews, then taken out and not eaten. I imagine its nutrients would still leach into the cooking broth though?

On the European side, there is also Lavabread - a Welsh thing that I've found in tins, essentially a "wet" rather than dried seaweed, with salt and seasoning, the kind of consistency to spread on bread etc. I've not worked out what to do with it yet!

Pookie is offline Member
    I like putting cream cheese in nori strips and rolling them up.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    I've put dried seaweed in seafood soup. There are some asian restaurants that make great seaweed salad.

I'm wondering if the radioactivity problem in Japan will affect the seaweed supply or if the seaweed they consume is harvested far from shore.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    The problem I have with seaweed is that most of it tastes vile. I bought some very pretty multicoloured seaweed salad, and simply could not eat it. Unspeakably horrible.

Two that taste good: nori and dulse. Dulse wrapped round strong cheddar, or used to stuff mackerel, is great. Only problem is finding the stuff.

Also, I always put a sheet of kombu in the stockpot for the added minerals. Wonder if I could use up some wakame in the same way?

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    After my trip to Japan, I learned to absolutely LOVE seaweed. Wakame in soups is amazing, and I can eat toasted nori as is (especially okazunori, salted and perhaps flavoured?)

Take a sheet of nori and roll anything up.
    I've never been a huge fan of hijiki and kombu, but I can easily eat it. (Only tasted kombu in soup stock though, but in one of the families I lived with, they ate it dried as a snack - it's VERy chewy :P).

Faumdano is offline Member
    The big book of seaweeds (it's in Japanese, but you can easily use the scientific names to do further digging)

pictures
    names

The commonly eaten ones that I run into on a daily basis here n Japan are: kombu, nori, wakame, ao nori, hijiki, mozuku, and umi budou; all are delightful when properly prepared

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast