Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help. Omega 6 and chicken? page

marcjr is offline Junior Member

Need help. Omega 6 and chicken?

Primal Fuel
    Hi to everyone here. Fairly new to the Grok lifestyle but learning very quickly and loving every minute of it.

I need help regarding chicken. Here where I live (Gatineau,Qc Canada), finding organic grass fed chicken is almost impossible. I say almost because the ones I do find are just way to expensive. I mean paying between 7$ to 10$ for 1 (yes 1) chicken breast. For red meat, no problem. Several farms offer 100% grass fed beef with no hormones or antibiotics.

So back to chicken. I've found President's Choice Free From chicken breast. President's Choice is a brand name of Canada's biggest food retailer and a great brand name too. The free from means that the chicken has no hormones and no antibiotics which is great. However it is fed grains.

I've cut 100% grains from my diet. I've cut 100% processed foods from my diet.

Will eating this chicken (which by the way is the same price as regular chicken) sabotage my diet? I want to cut down on Omega 6.

Sorry for the long post (my first one). I just don't know how much Omega 6 is in the chicken...Small amount or enough to sabotage my new lifestyle...

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Marc.
    Have a healthy day.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Get the best you can afford and don't stress too much about it. Going anti-biotic and hormone-free is a good start.

Some of those farms that have grass-fed beef might have or know where to get good chicken. Ask around, farming communities are pretty tightly knit, so they'll often know someone. They might have chickens even, but not enough to sell to everyone, so if you have a relationship you might be able to get some.

Check at a local butcher's place where you get the grass-fed beef.

Are there any Amish communities around? Amish chicken is delicious, the best I've ever had.

Think about raising your own chickens if you've got a yard. Hens give you eggs and don't make noise like a rooster does.
    J.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    100g skinless chicken breast contains 170mg o6. Alternatively if you're eating chicken meat with skin it can have 1-2g o6 per 100g!
    Even eating chicken with skin won't sabotage your diet. You will have higher inflammation, but you will still be able to lose weight, fix GI issues etc.
    If you have inflammatory issues, such as achy joints (or various other stuff) it might be advisable to only eat chicken ocassionaly, remove the skin, and instead opt for the lower o6 beef and high o3 fish for the majority of your meat intake.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    100g skinless chicken breast contains 170mg o6. Alternatively if you're eating chicken meat with skin it can have 1-2g o6 per 100g!
    Even eating chicken with skin won't sabotage your diet. You will have higher inflammation, but you will still be able to lose weight, fix GI issues etc.
    If you have inflammatory issues, such as achy joints (or various other stuff) it might be advisable to only eat chicken ocassionaly, remove the skin, and instead opt for the lower o6 beef and high o3 fish for the majority of your meat intake.
    didn't know about Chicken, and possible issues with inflammation: interesting!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    As Pandadude said, I would only worry about it if you already have an inflammation issue. And even then, eating wild fish (like salmon) or supplementing with fish oil will up the omega-3s in your diet and help stifle some of the inflammation. The grass fed beef probably has enough o3 to help on that front. It's not as bad as you might think or have been led to believe.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjr View Post
    Here where I live (Gatineau,Qc Canada), finding organic grass fed chicken is almost impossible.
    Is there such a thing as "grass-fed" chicken? Chickens peck feed and eat bugs. So buying organic chicken isn't going to help anyone but the grocer making a mint off the "organic" label. They're just eating organic corn/soy/whatever feed. (Maybe it'll keep arsenic out of your food -- dunno.)

I am fortunate in that I honestly do not like chicken much (and when I do like it, it's usually breaded and fried into oblivion) and haven't bothered to hunt down a decent source for them. Probably what you should look for though is "pastured" chickens, and if you're really lucky a farmer who doesn't use corn/soy feed. Good luck on that one, though. My understanding is there are very, very few companies that don't sneak one or the other into their feed. :\ So you either need to grow your own, or have a really good relationship with someone who does (or find a website that'll do it for you).

Good luck!

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Chickens eat A LOT of grass, if allowed a natural diet. They love it. They really don't eat many grains - mostly just some grass seed, but they prefer the soft blades. Greens and meat are what chickens naturally eat.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Chickens eat A LOT of grass, if allowed a natural diet. They love it. They really don't eat many grains - mostly just some grass seed, but they prefer the soft blades. Greens and meat are what chickens naturally eat.
    Thanks, Lily. I realized after I posted that I honestly have no idea what chickens naturally eat...and that's kind of sad. Not a lot of wild chickens running around here in SoCal....

anaconda is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Here's a website that says skinless chicken is 1.4% Omega 6. Per 100gr that would be 1.4gr or 1400 mg. Any idea why this estimate is so different from your 170 mg value? I like yours better. Just wanted to confirm it. Thanks.

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods : LC Research/Media : Active Low-Carber Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast