Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School lunch for a teenager page

Rachael in TX is offline Junior Member

School lunch for a teenager

Primal Fuel
    I need some ideas for my 13 year old. Here are her limitations:

- she has 20 minutes to eat and drink her water
    - from 8AM-5PM, the school does not allow kids to have water bottles except during their 20 minute lunch. (I got her an exception but still it's very frowned on). So that 20 minutes is very much about water.
    - Her lunch is at 1:30: so 6-7 hours after her breakfast.
    - she is not allowed to heat up her lunch (so leftovers don't work)
    - she can't stand food with fat in them like roast beef.
    - the only time she can talk with friends is this 20 minutes in her 9 hour day

We tried meat rollups but the only meats she enjoyed in that were salami or pepperoni and those are just so bad for you. Salad takes her too long to eat.

Turkey, she dislikes, but can swallow with pesto and organic, no corn syrup, bread. This is what I've resorted to at this point because I just don't know what else to do.

I should add that she's got mono and I'm in the process of testing her vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels. (Mine were deficient.) So emotions are important- enjoying her food in the middle of the day matters.

I would prefer to get rid of the bread but she needs lunch to feel comforting and filling.

Any ideas?
    Thank you.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    What types of foods does she like? Finger foods? Smoothies? Aside from the bread, what does she find enjoyable? Have you tried a non-grain bread? They can be pretty simple to make and keep well. As for smoothies, I sometimes make frozen ones with fruit and I have a thermos that I've carried them in. Keeps it semi-frozen for hours. A smoothie with with some finger foods might work.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Why is she going to school in hell?

Ok, what about nourishing soups? Hydrating, electrolyte balancing, don't have to feel fatty on the tongue. A thermos means she doesn't have to heat anything up.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Hilde is offline Member
    I'm a big fan of the "smoothie in a thermos" idea. If you use berries, protein powder and something with fat, it will keep you going for a while. I use olive oil ( about a tablespoon). Might take some time to get use to the protein powder. Or you can make a salad. Avocado is a really good way to get some fat. And nuts are a great snack if she needs something more.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk based smoothie with avocado, banana and cocoa? The same with berries? A little extra coconut oil for fat and calories...

What is this place she goes to though? Punishment for something? (only joking - the school should be strung up by the short n curlies for that outrageous schedule).

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Good Heavens why are they restricting water????

I would go with the smoothie or soup idea. Something she can sip on, and then nuts, cheese, fruit, veggies for munching along with the 'main' part of the lunch. And water on the side.

Crap on a cracker, have we solved so many of the education issues our kids face that they can focus on.....water????

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Fruit and nuts are good and portable. Frittatas are awesome cold. And salami is not that bad for you. Compared to cold cut turkey... Really not much difference. Try to find a pastured source and you're good to go. I'm 15, and I just don't eat lunch at school. I also leave at 12:30 so that makes it easier, but most days I just don't ahve lunch.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Also, rice is probably fine. Rice cakes, gluten free stuff, not strict but still fairly healthy if made with good ingredietns.

Rachael in TX is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I didn't get emails and so didn't notice that people had replied.

About school, I hear you all. She homeschooled until this year and the administration was much kinder :-) But she's a musician and homeschool bands in this area are downright pathetic. The school band is tops in the nation. So that's why she's in "prison". (I quoted the Geneva Convension rules for POWs to get her water privs.) Then this week I learned that not only does she need water input privs but output as well. I emailed her teachers and thankfully, she's allowed to pee now without condemnation. (I'm going to have to change my attitude about school.)

I will go over your ideas with her. I really like the smoothie idea and would love to know what someone meant by "non-grain bread". If I could find a soup she likes, that would work also for variety. Both would help for water also. (An attempted blood draw failed last week on her because she was so dehydrated after school.) I think a good thermos is on the list.

Rachael

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael in TX View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I didn't get emails and so didn't notice that people had replied.

About school, I hear you all. She homeschooled until this year and the administration was much kinder :-) But she's a musician and homeschool bands in this area are downright pathetic. The school band is tops in the nation. So that's why she's in "prison". (I quoted the Geneva Convension rules for POWs to get her water privs.) Then this week I learned that not only does she need water input privs but output as well. I emailed her teachers and thankfully, she's allowed to pee now without condemnation. (I'm going to have to change my attitude about school.)

I will go over your ideas with her. I really like the smoothie idea and would love to know what someone meant by "non-grain bread". If I could find a soup she likes, that would work also for variety. Both would help for water also. (An attempted blood draw failed last week on her because she was so dehydrated after school.) I think a good thermos is on the list.

Rachael
    That is terrible. I can't believe parents are ok with their children being treated like they are in prison. No communication except 20 min at lunch!?! No bathroom breaks or water. Good lord.

Non-grain bread would be one of the almond/flax recipes floating around. Elana's Pantry is a great place to start.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast