Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For people who cut out dairy -- did you also cut out butter? page

chuckarie is offline Member

For people who cut out dairy -- did you also cut out butter?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I've been having acne lately and I'm thinking it might be to due the butter I'm consuming. I've already cut out all other kinds of dairy (I don't eat cheese, yogurt or heavy cream), but I've been reluctant to cut out butter because I feel like it's such a staple in my diet (I put tons of it on my vegetables). If you cut out dairy, did you also cut out butter? If so, has this helped you with anything?

Also, if I do choose to cut out butter, what can I use to replace it? I feel like nothing compares to the taste of it and I'm afraid giving it up will mean I won't be able to find other easy sources of fats that taste good.

Supersonic is offline Member
    Try out ghee. Buttery flavor, no milk solids.
    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I love virgin coconut oil. It's delicious. Some people don't like it. My brother hates the taste of coconut. Makes a face like a damned toddler. Hampers all my attempts to get him on the right track. Sorry, I'm rambling.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I love virgin coconut oil. It's delicious. Some people don't like it. My brother hates the taste of coconut. Makes a face like a damned toddler. Hampers all my attempts to get him on the right track. Sorry, I'm rambling.
    Coconut oil is great! hey do you know where I can buy coconut butter?? ha you think your rambling!!! read my last entry in my journal .. wow.. the things I go on about some days.. :S
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Cave Women View Post
    Coconut oil is great! hey do you know where I can buy coconut butter??
    I don't think there is such a thing. Room temperature virgin coconut oil is kind of buttery.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there is such a thing. Room temperature virgin coconut oil is kind of buttery.
    I'm pretty sure there is .. hmm I 've read on here that people have coconut oil, butter, milk, water, meat etc etc etc .. I'm all coconut confused!
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Its more likely that you have one or more vitamin or mineral deficiencies rather than that butter is the cause
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    So tell your brother to use bacon fat! Can't see anybody complain about that. I also find red palm oil to be surprisingly mild flavored, no coconut flavor there.

VeggieBoy is offline Member
    I had to cut out all dairy myself, including butter. If it is the hormones in dairy that cause your skin to break out then it makes sense that butter would be a culprit as the hormones tend to concentrate in the milkfat. Only way to be sure would be to do an elimination.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I cut out dairy I kept butter in but had awful cravings for dairy, so now I have switched to using ghee. I react so strongly to dairy (digestive problems and insomnia) that I'm sure I'm better off that way anyway. No harm in trying ghee and seeing if that helps. It's easy to make your own if you can't get grassfed ghee where you live.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast