Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Coconut Oil a Solid or Liquid? page

chuckarie is offline Member

Is Coconut Oil a Solid or Liquid?

Primal Fuel
    So I was going to buy coconut oil at Whole Foods the other day but when I found the 365 brand it looked solid for some reason.... I always though coconut oil was supposed to be a liquid? And I'm pretty sure it wasn't coconut butter because it clearly said "coconut OIL".

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is solid below 24 degrees Celsius.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

chuckarie is offline Member
    okay thanks!

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Yes mine is sometimes solid but once the house warms it becomes a liquid.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Calgary gets about 2 months a year of melty coconut oil. Those in hotter climates like to keep it in the fridge if they want solid oil. I prefer solid oil just because you can only do so much with melty oil, but you can always melt solid oil. The one advantage of melty oil is if you want to rub it all over yourself but you don't want to have to let it cool after melting it in a saucepan or whatever. Not that I do that.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    The one advantage of melty oil is if you want to rub it all over yourself but you don't want to have to let it cool after melting it in a saucepan or whatever. Not that I do that.
    It melts in your hands pretty quickly, so you don't have to melt it in a pan to rub it all over yourself. It also melts into hot water, in case you feel like taking an oil-enriched bath (and booby trapping the tub for the next person who showers).

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I like the solid because I use it for cooking and then I take some out and put it in a smaller container and use it for my hair and skin. YOu smell like coconut but only for a few minutes but its great for my hair which is locked. The only down thing I 've found with the oil is that on high temps, it burns or flies everywhere so only use a little bit.

I was planning on getting coconut oil to make some of the "bark" I've been hearing about, and also for health/beauty purposes. I'm really not sure if I'm going to keep it refrigerated or not. Haven't decided yet. It's kinda weird that it changes consistency like that, lol

marcjr is offline Junior Member
    Most of time it will be solid. But don't worry, it takes just a hint of heat and it melts super fast. I use Omega Nutrition certified organic Coconut oil. One of the best oils to cook with.

Have a healthy day.
    Marc.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    It melts in your hands pretty quickly, so you don't have to melt it in a pan to rub it all over yourself. It also melts into hot water, in case you feel like taking an oil-enriched bath (and booby trapping the tub for the next person who showers).
    LOL - I've booby trapped the shower for myself a few times. But yes, it does melt pretty quickly in the hands - I slather it on myself after showers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast