Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting funny looks at a local park - very amusing. Anyone else had this? page

robbie1512 is offline Member

Getting funny looks at a local park - very amusing. Anyone else had this?

Shop Now
    I went down to a local park with my girlfriend last weekend to do a fun, outdoors workout. As I was parking the car in an adjacent car park, a couple of large council trucks also pulled up outside the park and some very sallow (I don't know if that is a word but it fits perfectly) council workers got out of the trucks and sat down on some benches in the park and started having lunch. Anyways, as we trudged through some muddy grass to get to the kids play area/jungle gym, I noticed the council guys watching us, so as we passed under a tree I jumped up and grabbed an overhanging branch and did a dozen chins/mixed grip pullups, dropped down and kept walking like nothing had happened. I got to the playground and my girlfriend told me that the council guys were watching me the whole time doing my tree-branch chins and when I switched my grips and kept going, she said one of the guy's mouths dropped. That made us both laugh and made me realise how much I enjoy PB workouts!

Anyone else have some funny stories like this?

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Yea, there is a kids playground not too far from me and I go there some times with my daughter, sometimes alone.
    It has all kids of walking balance beems and monkey bars and high and low pull up bars.

Couple of times now I paek the car nearby and walk over with my water bottle and get all kinds of looks from other kids walking by and people walking thier dogs.

It's a great place though

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    I have been going up to the local park to sprint. I go about 6:30 in the morning and it is still dark. There was an individual walking around the loop with a miner's light on. The first day I was sprinting as I ame up behind him or her I think I scared the crap out of them.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Somebody called the police when I went barefoot walking recently.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Oh yea. I take my kids to the playground and I'm the only adult playing along. I do dips and pullups on the monkey bar thing and do pistol squats in a circuit. I'll also grab my son (40 pounds) and lunge across the playground area then have him jump on my back and do pushups. The moms there are like wow you have a lot of energy... lol... as they eat thier doughnuts and are 100 pounds overweight.

There is also softball fields in the same park and I take my son over there to race. We sprint foul pole to foul pole (~300 feet) and walk back. I get all the kids to race me... the sad thing is most kids don't want to race... they are in too bad of shape. Oh well. The adults must think I'm crazy.

Crazy is good. Who wants to be "normal"... normal in America is fat, out of shape, in debt and broke.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I generally avoid gyms as I find the standard workouts there to be mindless and boring. I also have rampant cognitive dissonance over how one can characterize spending most of ones time sitting on some machine or another, then more sitting on a bench to "rest" after the strenuous sitting, and calling that a workout.

I have, however, been forced back in the gym due to the weather ( 65" of snow in January in Boston ) and my inability to figure out a reasonable alternative to deadlifting 2x my bodyweight. I know, cry me a river...

If you want to get strange looks in a gym, try doing a few sets of muscle ups, ice cream makers, handstand pushups, and throw in some body levers on the seated row machine for good measure. You will certainly collect some looks, but in general, people will give you a wide berth on the off chance that you are dangerous. It is quite comical, actually.

-PK

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I'm in Texas now-a-days and in California people walk as transportation all the time. In So. Cal. you see all kinds =) Texas people walk, but only fully suited up and for exercise, not transpo. Whenever I walk to go get the kids from school (often barefoot) people stare. They must wonder if I'm a hippy or a crackhead.
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    LOL!

I get attention from my workouts a lot. Even two years ago when my friend would take me to the park to teach me how to use kettlebells people would interrupt us to ask about them. When I push my weightsled in the park people watch, but it's when I carry my kettlebells in my hands barefoot up the hills in my area that I get a lot of looks. They're just used to people jogging in sneakers on the flat sections.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Yea, there is a kids playground not too far from me and I go there some times with my daughter, sometimes alone.
    It has all kids of walking balance beems and monkey bars and high and low pull up bars.

Couple of times now I paek the car nearby and walk over with my water bottle and get all kinds of looks from other kids walking by and people walking thier dogs.

It's a great place though
    In the states at least a man going to a playground alone would likely get the cops called on him.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Yoga in the park always gets some stares and looky-lous.

One time my friend and I set up a circuit of a 100m sprint, 20 kettlebell swings, and then leapfrogging each other the 100m back to start. THAT got some looks, indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast