Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P90X or Crossfit fitting into Primal Living page

BikerPike Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm looking at changing up my excercise routine from triathlon training of swimming, biking and running to add in more strength and high intensity per Primal Blueprint and do less cardio. My goal currently is to drop body fat and get stronger.

Thing that confuses me is that crossfit and P90X are intense and close to an hour sometimes longer. P90X is scheduled to do daily. I have P90X and started doing the Lean version and am skipping the cardio days which means basically strength training an hour 3x a week and then do my own workouts at low HR other days.

I found a close crossfit gym and going to a class with week to try it out.

I know some of you do Crossfit and others P90X I guess I'm asking how you see it fitting into rules #3-5. Do you adapt P90X or Crossfit?

I found this that Mark posted below and seems to say doing hour or less of intense excercise is okay but not daily.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-energy-levels/

Thanks!

BikerPike Guest

Anyone?

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

My PT reccomended that if I wanted to continue doing P90x (he thinks they're way too long, especially everyday,) to speed the DVD up or take your favorite exercises out performed at half the time with twice the intensity (sounds sort of like a HIIT, right?) Crossfit workouts are pretty primal AND effective, I don't see any need to make alterations besides fitting it to your own fitness level...Honestly, I think if you stuck exactly to the crossfit.com website everyday, you would get a lot stronger, faster and leaner.

MacGlashan Guest

The longest crossfit WoD I've experienced was about 45 minutes, and that was definitely a standout in terms of length. Normally, a WoD takes between 15 and 20 minutes. I'd like to crossfit five or six days a week, but I don't honestly believe my body could handle that over the long term. I have experienced significant gains attending only a few days a week, and occasionally taking a week or so off, according to my life schedule/pace. Even crossfit.com recommends a three on, one off schedule, and I many of the folks at crossfit oahu where I attend put in three or fewer each week. Crossfit classes are usually an hour because of warm-up, coaching time and recovery in addition to the WoD.

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

I attended a Crossfit affiliate for about 3 months over the summer. If you go, do yourself a favor and make sure they are safe. ANYONE can open a crossfit gym...you just have to be level 1 certified which is just intense training for 2 days. Crossfit can be too much about putting up big numbers and not enough about safety...that's one of the main reasons I left. The workouts are short but intense. I think my body was crying for a break too.

I just started P90X on Sunday...can you give me a little time on that one? haha But seriously, I'm going to still keep my spinning class once a week and hike on the weekends. I really like to keep things mixed up. Try either one...it's all about what works for you.

BikerPike Guest

Jess: I thought about doing each excercise once not doing three then doing them again which would make it take half the time.

Mac: That is a good point.. that a hour class isn't all out for the hour. I'm going to a class Wed to check it out. I know I could do it on my own. When I started with yoga I took classes for a couple months then now do it on my own with what works for me. My friends that do crossfit on their own probably do 20-25' workout at a time so that lines up better.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

bikerpike- I did one round of P90X- did all 6 days a week for the 90 days just to see if I could. And I did. But I burned out on it. Next time I do it, I will do the weight lifting days and then my own brand of cardio on the other days. It's too much to sustain for the long-term. Right now I'm just enjoying doing whatever comes into my head each day.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Bikerpike, are you upping the intensity? I find some of the weight lifting videos to be a waste of time personally (bicep curls..boring..) Have you tried the plyometric one? That was always one of my favorites, sometimes I'll feel daring and do the whole 60 minutes.

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Pike, I take one class a week and have started my own littel arsenal to do WODs at home. My trainer has started my out real slow with next to no weight yet. I Just got my 12lb bar. Although I could probably lift heavier, the idea for me, being a newbie, is to just get the form done correctly so when I really start adding weight, the form is already second nature. i made parrelettes, I bought my weighted bar and have a jump rope. My trainer gives me three WODs to complete before I come back the next week and of course I am running the other days and Lately resting more! So far the WODs he has given me are no longer than 20 minutes after my warmup and some WODs include running sprints.

Hope you have a good experience in your class...I will be looking forward to your update!

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

BikerPike Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

DCKMB: That is what I was thinking of doing the strength stuff but instead of doing each move 2x just once and skip the cardio and do other excercise that I enjoy more on those days.

Jess:I am still just getting started and trying to figure out how to fit it in to doing Primal and other training I want to do.

Baglady: I tend to get pretty bad DOMS after doing new strength training especially lunges and squats. In the past I have eased into things by doing it w/o weight first few times then adding weight once I have the form down and a bit used to the excercise. Sounds like your trainer has similar ideas. Are you going to a crossfit gym or some place else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast