Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P90X or Crossfit fitting into Primal Living page 2

Acmebike is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I just started Crossfit, it fits with Primal/Paleo living. In fact, Paleo is the Crossfitter's nutritional go to plan. Over a year now, I've been doing Crossfit-inspired workouts at home, and using videos of workouts from MDA and other online sources. Short, intense workouts. The Crossfit gym I go to has been real good about education, ramping things up slowly and getting me ready for a new intensity. I go 2x a week, and it keeps me motivated and has certainly allowed me to see pushing through to a new level by Jan 1.

I think after 3 months of Crossfit, my home workouts will be sufficient as my form, intensity and strength will have gone up a bit. Interview your gyms, find a workout buddy, do the workouts as Sisson lays out there, plenty of Primal workout options, P90X and Crossfit certainly can fit!

SullynNH Guest

I'm on my 5th round of X...with other things interspersed. You can definitely modify it, I do heavier weights, 5-7 reps, sometimes only one round, you get 80% of the benefit from the program this way, but coupled with the higher intensity I'm sure you are getting the most out of it. I do shorter cardio and a 30 min yoga too (helps get rid of the stress)...no matter what you do 80-90% of benefit starts in the kitchen ;-)

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I did p90x twice...was burned out by the end both times but did all 90 days both times.

You could probably get pretty decent results (depending on your goals) if you did half the workout and upped the weight a little. I think it's the chest & back routine where you essentially do the workout and then repeat. Cut out the repeat and you should be fine...in fact I might try this.

You can modify anything and make it more primal. It'll just take a little planning.

I have the Insanity DVDs at home that I haven't touched and I might do 30min of a couple of those. It's crazy stuff.

I grok, therefore I am.

Jie Jie is offline Junior Member

I've been doing Crossfit at an affiliate gym for the past 6 months. I love it. I've seen great improvements in my strength. When selecting a crossfit gym, ask them what the trainer to student ratio is for each class offered. Some of the gyms just take on too many students per session.

The competition within your fellow crossfitters will also help you out. I'm sure as you know since you do triathlons.

I hope you check it out. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

BikerPike Guest

I took my first crossfit class today..me and 7 other women. There was a fun vibe in the class. It was incredibly hard but hard in a good pushing myself way. I was a little disappointed the trainer didn't correct folks at all to make sure we had the right form and if you were unable to do something he didn't say how to adapt it.

In doing the 20' section 4 times through I was the slowest but other women skipped stuff or didn't do all the reps. Hey I'm about doing what I can, do the best I can so I improve. After one time through I was ready to be done...push ups got worse and so did pull ups.

We did a lot of upper body stuff which is my weakness.

I liked trying new hard challenging things.

I did contact another Crossfit Gym that is bit farther from home but a lot less expensive to try and go there. The one today was inside a strip mall gym with limited classes and due to space most will be 8:1.

I do think doing classes will encourage me to push more than doing something similar on my own.

I am a bit afraid how sore I'll be tomorrow as I already am sore 7 hours later.

Jie Jie is offline Junior Member

Congratulations BikerPike!

I too go to a more expensive and farther from my home. But very worth it for me.

You may be sore for a few days. You may be sore on some WODs and not others. Then you get hooked!

I love starting my day w/ crossfit. It allows me to complete something challenging and something I've never done before. All before starting my work day!

Keep on keepin on, sister!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

p90x dvds are long... I use pieces of it in my own workouts and still do the plyometrics one... love it.

rachelcb80 Guest

I'm currently on day 32 or 33 (can't remember) of P90X and am starting to get burned out on it. I'm determined to do the full 90 days though, just to say I did it and not feel like a quitter. I can't see this program being anything I could keep up as a regular routine though. Like others have mentioned, if you modify it I can see it being a little more reasonable to do on a regular basis.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Crossfit is pretty expensive in my area... like $150/month

cole Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Crossfit is not as fast and suits much better with PB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12