Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to PB diet and experiencing gassiness/upset bowels page

katekatekoala is offline Junior Member

Switching to PB diet and experiencing gassiness/upset bowels

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    WARNING: EXPLICIT poo talk

Ok, I wasn't expecting to have this problem, so let's get to it.

I found out about PB a few days ago and have tried to transition into the diet as best I can. Being a college student, I have a stupid amount of pastas and breads and canned foods in my pantry. I'll have to foist those upon my roommate, I guess. I can't remember everything I've eaten the past few days but I'll try my best:

Wednesday breakfast: scrambled eggs with red bell pepper (instead of my normal bowl of porridge with peanut butter), lactose free milk (which I had bought with the bread, pre-PB)

Wednesday dinner: seared scallops in olive oil, wilted spinach with minced garlic and olive oil, some green pitted olives, and a small, less-than-palm-sized bit of bread (I lterally bought this baguette the day before I found out about PB, not letting it go to waste)

Thursday lunch: cut of casserole steak (pretty lean) cooked in bacon fat and some Worcestershire sauce, mangetout in butter and leftover steak/fat juices, another small bit of bread, and olives; drank some lactose-free milk

Thursday snack: some almonds, a bite or two of dark chocolate

Thursday dinner (just now, about an hour ago): olives, green pepper dipped in hummus, a bit of the bread, some slices of German salami, and lactose free milk

Obviously I'm not expecting miracle results in two days, but what I wasn't expecting was what just happened to me. Quite the ordeal. About 15 minutes after I finished said dinner, I began to feel bloated and gassy. It increased to where I was very gassy, it felt like my stomach was turning in knots, almost painful. Then I had to Grok sprint for the loo, whereupon I had very bad diarrhea.

I have always had a delicate tummy. My dad has IBS, and I do also. I have not experienced symptoms akin to tonight for a long time, mostly because I've been pretty healthy with my eating for the last few months. After the start-of-college binge on alcohol, take-out, pizza, etc... I've given most of these up and stuck to lean chicken, lean red meat, veggies, prawns, canned tuna, semi-skim milk, so-on. I've not had a stomach upset for a long time. When I ate the spinach on Wednesday, it made me a little gassy, but I seem to remember it happening to me before when I ate spinach in the past; anyways, it wasn't too bad, and my mom just told me to take some Beano or something.

After discovering the world of PB I've made a decision to wean myself off most dairy, except Greek yoghurt and raw milk (which I ordered some from a farm near London tonight); to eschew all grains; and to try more exotic meats and cuts of meat, as well as offal.

This stomach upset has come as a total surprise -- I hope its a fluke, and not a vision of what is to come. I really agree with the principles of the PB and I really want to give it a go. I can't imagine why my body would react badly, so I hope its not the case.

Advice? Thoughts? Did anyone else experience stomach upsets/other body weirdness when transitioning to PB?

Kate

PS - I live in London, so that's why I've already had my dinner!

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kate,
    I avoid hummus and salami because of getting gassy.

I did get the carb flu at first, but it was more like headache stuff not stomach.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Increasing the fat in your diet can cause diaorrhea. You just need a period of adjustment. Other causes are micronutrient deficiencies. Eg you may not be getting enough zinc. But I'd work on gradually settling into a higher fat diet first. You can transition gently. You don't have to go whole hog
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people seem to have some difficulty easing themselves into more fat. You had a very low fat intake for a while and now you are going fat-crazy (and rightfully so. Your body is dying for it) but many transitioning from a low fat diet to a high fat diet simply can't produce enough bile efficiently. Maybe go a little lighter on the fat to start with. Also coconut products are your friend. They heal the gut and stuff. Also gelatinous proteins like gelatin powder and bone broth are good for healing IBS. Check out the GAPS diet. You may not need to go full-fledged GAPS but some of it can help.

I hope you feel better soon. Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thanks you guys!

Zophie: salami I can chuck whole-heartedly. Had enough of that stuff living in Germany anyways But hummus, oh man. Don't take my hummus! Its never been a problem before so I don't think it would be now.

Peril: Ah, I didn't know that, about transitioning to high fat. Good to know! And I do need to look into supplements. I've read about them alot on the site, and my mom has been trying to stuff them down my throat for years. She'll probably be miffed to know it was some forum people who ended up getting me to do it rather than her.

Stabby: Its really odd to come into the warm circle of light that is "Yes! Eat fat! Fat is good!" I'm a 21 year old girl who of course reads about hating fat and eating lean and eating veggies and stuff like that. Its really weird for me to think of "high fat + high protein + low carb = healthy and less weight", especially since I already have a little extra lovin' around my hips and thighs anyways! But I grew up eating steaks most nights of the week (thanks dad!), eating bacon for breakfast and saving the fat in a jar to cook other stuff in. It'll be a nice return to the way things used to be before I became a vain, body-obsessed young woman!

emily55406 is offline Junior Member
    My digestive system took a few days to adjust. I was uncomfortable from day 2 to about day 5 and then all of a sudden I felt great. Give your body some time to adjust.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    A lot of people seem to have some difficulty easing themselves into more fat. You had a very low fat intake for a while and now you are going fat-crazy (and rightfully so. Your body is dying for it) but many transitioning from a low fat diet to a high fat diet simply can't produce enough bile efficiently. Maybe go a little lighter on the fat to start with. Also coconut products are your friend. They heal the gut and stuff. Also gelatinous proteins like gelatin powder and bone broth are good for healing IBS. Check out the GAPS diet. You may not need to go full-fledged GAPS but some of it can help.

I hope you feel better soon. Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the GAPS diet??

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Virtually everyone's digestive tract is upset in the beginning, in one way or the other. Some get constipated; some get diarrhea. At least now we know which way you'll go. It will pass given a bit of time.

You do need to eat more vegetables, however. Note the Primal food pyramid and see that this is a produce-based way of eating, above everything else.

The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    You're also dealing with gut flora adjusting. Flora adapts to what you're eating, which is why a SAD diet makes you sick, it simplifies the gut flora which is responsible for much of your immunity. The raw milk may cause some upset at first so you might want to take it slow until you're used to it. And don't freak out if you initially have some odd break outs. In the beginning I had pimples pop up in weird places. It was like WWIII broke out in my body.

Blackcatbone,

Thankfully I've never been one prone to acne as a consequence of diet, like dairy or spelt grains, etc. I had it moderately bad in my early teens but been pretty clear since. Hopefully raw milk won't do anything though! I've heard so much good about it and I'm really excited to try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast