Thread: lose 100 pounds in 100 days? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

Question lose 100 pounds in 100 days?

Primal Fuel
    Is it possible to lose 100 pounds in 100 days? I ask this because I see it done on shows such as I Used to be Fat on MTV. Those kids lose a pound or more a day, how do they do it? I know they exercise for hours a day but still. If I could lose that much weight in that time, I'd be way better off.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Some of it is obviously water weight and muscle. Some of it is their souls, haha. But the idea is that if you get the body well-nourished and get its metabolic problems taken care of to a degree, not only will metabolic rate increase to prodigious levels even at rest but under certain conditions which I don't really understand, they are complicated, the fat cells commit suicide (apoptosis) and go to be used somewhere else in the body so more calories have to be burned immediately. Usually this has to do with inordinate amounts of exercise and the combination of nourishment yet caloric restriction (caloric restriction is a good band-aide for metabolic troubles, although it has its downsides too. Not for everyone that's for sure), which create a perfect storm.

Sometimes there was just one factor messing with someone. Maybe they happened to be avoiding the PUFAs and getting enough nutrition but they were chowing down on high-fructose corn syrup like mad. Or maybe they just had a nutrient-deficiency from a non-varied diet. Who knows. It is definitely possible.

Thus, skinny dude fast!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Weight loss becomes their full time job. They are usually in a situation with little to no distraction. i.e. TBL(Biggest loser which is the only one I have seen). No family, no job, no other focus than weight.

One the weight is slightly exaggerated. Before the first weigh in they waterload and other things to get the starting weight as high as possible so there is a huge drop the first week. Then you get the normal water drop from a radical diet change and some of them lose in the 30-40 lbs range the first 7 days.

They are medically monitored - what you dont see on camera is that in the TBL gym there are WAY more trainers than the celebrity ones. There is a medical staff. Medical checks are frequent.

Calories are kept low. Very low. Well below the basal metabolic point.

Exercise is extreme. A full time job. Wake up. 2 hours of moderate cardio, small breakfast..short digestion, 90 minutes of high intensity circuit training. small break/fuel. 2 hours of medium intensity cardio with high intensity breaks. dinner. more low intensity cardio. 6+ hours a day for most of them. Sometimes more. Sometimes with multiple high intensity sessions. Burn 3000-4000+calories just in exercise each day.

Other things you dont see: Ice packs, massage, physical therapy treatments a full staff on hand to give you the remote hope that you can do that again the next day and the next day.

Out of curiosity I decided to try a "TBL workout schedule" with some modifications just for fun once. (Last year). I was in top physical shape STARTING my personal challenge. The most I could squeeze in was about 3-4 hours and I am a stay at home mom with kids in school. I got nothing else done because when I wasnt working out I was either fueling for my next workout or napping or changing. I had fun, but about 4-5 weeks in it got old. Boring. Very very hard to sustain on your own and I am someone who LOVES the gym. Most I ever managed to burn in a day was about 2000 calories (above BMR).
    Last edited by runnergal; 03-31-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    So is it possible to lose that much weight in that time with just meat and veggies then? I thought calories did not matter so much in PB and such?

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    So is it possible to lose that much weight in that time with just meat and veggies then? I thought calories did not matter so much in PB and such?
    Without extreme exercise? No, I dont think so.

calories in/calories out always matters. What PB changes is a little bit how much you burn and how you burn it. Some can lose without counting because their appetite decreases and their metabolism increases on this WOE. Some still have to monitor how much. But extreme rapid weight loss? No. That is not what PB is all about and isnt going to happen simply by eliminating grains.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    One pound of fat contains about 3500 calories. In order to lose that kind of weight you need a massive calorie deficit and some of the weight lose would come from dehydration and loses in lean body mass as well. Given conditions of extreme food deprivation combined with extreme exercise those kinds of losses would be possible. You might be better off at a lighter weight but that is not a healthy or sustainable weight loss rate.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    You might be better off at a lighter weight but that is not a healthy or sustainable weight loss rate.
    This. You need to lose 100 lbs. You don't need to lose 100 lbs in 100 days.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Granted I've only seen a few episodes of that show, but I never say anyone lose 100 lbs. 40-50, yes, and that's still astounding. Now the people on the show were generally more than 100 lbs overweight. They would lose a ton the first few weeks and then it would slow to more like 3-5lbs per week. Still much faster than most of us lose. I attribute that to the super low calorie intake and 4-6 hours of exercise a day. Not sustainable. I saw one girl on the show completely stall by not following the diet. Of course, when she deviated it was starchy stuff like waffles. You'd think that would make them wonder at the degree of emphasis that should be placed on exercise.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    My sophmore year of college I lost 75 pounds in 60 days so I would say yes it is possible. At the same time I would say no it isn't very healthy. I busted my ass to do it and even though I was lifting weights with my cardio there is no doubt that I lost muscle as well.
    "Live Free or Die"