Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me transition from P90x page

squeally dan is offline Member

Help Me transition from P90x

Primal Fuel
    I have been a runner for a few years. I neer did any kind of strengh training. I only ran. I got bored with running longer and longer distances, so I started P90X about a yera ago. I am now completing my 4th round of it, which means I have done it for a complete year. I still enjoy it, but would love to see what else is out there, and would love to not be tied to watcing dvd's on a tv.

I have lost down to 140#s. I was almost up to 160# a year ago. I finally have some definition, can see some mucles, etc. I am male, am 5'9, and m body fat is now in the 5-10% range. I am a dietitian and eat a good paleo-based diet 90% of the time.

People as what my fitness goals are. Its hard to say. I want to keep running but plan on sticking to 5k and 10k distance for the most part. Would love to get faster at those distances. I would also like to keep getting stronger. Stronger in a way that transitions to real world strength. I'm at a weight that I like and don't really want to lose or gain. As far as looks, I would rather be slim/fit w/ muscle abs than one of those big bulky looking body builder dudes, although nothing wrong with that either.

I think gymnastics-type workouts look like something I would enjoy. I've been tinkeing around with a homemade TRX and enjoy some of the stuff I've been doing with that. I love the ideaof performing harder and harder body weight exercises. That would also help wth my flexibility whch I know is by far my weakest point. Yoga kills me.

I see all the stuff aboutjust sticking with a few basic simple lifts as in the Stating Strength stuff. I like simple, but I don't want to joing a gym. Nothng against them, bu I love being able to walk outside and workout or go own to my basement. I have a pull-up bar, the homemade TRX, and have collected bigger and bigg dumbbells.

I just can't eally figre out where to go next I have a fear hat if I start some new routine I'l lose all the fitness I've gained from the P90x stuff. Probably a dumb fear. Any suggestions? THANKS!
    Last edited by squeally dan; 03-31-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    As long as you have some weight and some bodyweight options you'll do great. 2-3 LHT sessions per week (a mix of bodyweight and some actual lifting), sprinting 1-2 times per week and plenty of moving slowly. Check out Al or Tim for some bodyweight stuff - there are plenty of progressions to go through. In fact you could easily spend a year just with push up progressions.

You could mix in some sandbag work as well - this would give you a solid resistance training bias without having to join the gym. Check out my blog for some ideas

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    You should do Crossfit
    ad astra per aspera

Thanks Coach! I will be checking out yourblog over my lunch break. Love the ideas.

I think Cross fit looks like lots of fun, but I don' want to have to go to a facility to work out.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Make your strength workout intense and actually focus on getting stronger (not circuit stuff like p90x).

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Bodyweight is tough for pure strength unless you are very thorough on technique (too easy to cheat usually, with the exception of the usual suspects like pull-ups and hand-stand-push-ups of course). Maybe also get some kettle bells, and buy some books for inspiration Books | Thor Falk

I've added in some different bodyweight stuff. Found lots of cool stuff on AL's website. Also bought the book: Your Body is Your Own Gym & it looks to have a nice progression I might try.

www.huntercopelandnutrition.com

Man, still having a hard time transitioning from the p90x stuff. Its hard to give up something that has worked so well, but I would like to try some different stuff. I have my weight and %body fat where I want them and want to keep it that way. Would love to keep getting stronger. Tried the primal blueprint workout today and found it challenging. Didn't feel quite as beat up like p90x left me feeling some days. Wondering if I should add some weight lifting. If so, what equipment do I need at home to get that going and what are the importaint lifts, etc.

huntercopelandnutrition

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    A power rack with a bench, a barbell and some iron would be all you'll ever need.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    A power rack with a bench, a barbell and some iron would be all you'll ever need.
    And eventually a spotter or two!
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast