Thread: Definition of Low Carb and VLC? page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Definition of Low Carb and VLC?

How do we generally define low carb and VLC? Is it different for everyone?

Recently I upped my carbs from an average of one sweet potato a day to two (with an occasional no carb day). It's made a huge difference in increasing my overall energy levels and stamina while working out. However, if I consume too much more than that my energy levels sink, I get very tired, and feel yucky.

As far as I'm concerned, I consider my carb consumption to be normal for me. Is this still considered low carb or vlc in mainstream terms?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I think it is somewhat person dependent. I lift just fine on 2 or 3 days of 30-50g carbs per day leading up to a training day. And I am still lifting heavy ass weights (DL, Squat, Bench, etc.). I tend to eat 1 sweet potato after training and usually have a PWO drink that is between 60 - 85g dextrose with 35g whey. But, I haven't been doing that for the past 2 weeks, trying to cut out carbs to see if I can lose some fat more quickly. So far my training hasn't suffered, I am not lethargic or anything and I feel normal.
    I would, however, like to have the sweet potato at least because I love those damned things.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I think it is somewhat person dependent. I lift just fine on 2 or 3 days of 30-50g carbs per day leading up to a training day. And I am still lifting heavy ass weights (DL, Squat, Bench, etc.). I tend to eat 1 sweet potato after training and usually have a PWO drink that is between 60 - 85g dextrose with 35g whey. But, I haven't been doing that for the past 2 weeks, trying to cut out carbs to see if I can lose some fat more quickly. So far my training hasn't suffered, I am not lethargic or anything and I feel normal.
    I would, however, like to have the sweet potato at least because I love those damned things.
    I’m pretty much mirroring this post as it’s exactly what I’m doing. I plan to re-introduce higher carb days (a relative term as right now I’m probably getting sub 50g a day, probably only 20-30g if that) after two to three weeks. I’m hoping besides some fat loss that it’ll help me curb some cravings that are very unusual for me. Lately after eating I have cravings for something sweet, but I’m drinking water and having some coconut oil to see if that helps, it hasn’t so far but I’m not giving in anyway.

I think Low carb is anything under 100g/day, VLC is anything under 50g.

I do VLC by eating mostly meat of all kinds, eggs, and only eating some veggies like broccoli, kale, spinach etc… I will use garlic, onions, etc to cook meat with and stuff but other than that... nothing else. No fruit, no tubers, no carrots (don’t really love them anyway) obviously no grains, legumes, etc. I limit dairy to a few teaspoons in my morning coffee. My lunch for instance today will be a NY strip, and a 5 egg omelet with spinach and kale (about two handfuls of each veg) I’m only on week 1 of this experiment, usually my weekends are carbier since I have more time I like to cook some sweet potatoes but I won’t be doing that for at least two more weeks. I plan to keep my workouts just as intense to see if it’s “doable” I still think a carb-up day or carbs after workout is best, but I won’t know unless I experiment! I think I over-do the carbs when I try that approach so I haven’t been losing the BF I’m hoping to lose.

This is actually how I eat most of the time in case anyone reading finds it too restricting, the only difference right now is that I’m NOT eating potatoes, and I AM avoiding white rice (while before I would have some)… other than that this is kinda how I live because I’m too lazy to get more creative with veggies, or include more in my diet.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 03-31-2011 at 09:35 AM.