Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretch before sprinting? page

santisua Guest

Shop Now

Hey guys, new to the primal way of life. I am a college student that thought he was in good shape but haha clearly not that great! I try and live a mostly primal lifestyle...I do have the occassional dessert at the dining hall, but I limit myself a lot.

Anyhow, my real question is I just did my first sprint session today, I did a 10-20m jog before I went all out in all of my sprints, but on my fourth sprint I got this pain in the back of my left knee. Is this from not stretching or warming up enough? I finished that sprint and tried to do a 5th but I couldn't. When I tested it out jogging after, it didn't hurt, just when I went all out on the sprints. Help appreciated =)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

It's from not sprinting enough.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

santisua Guest

so should I just push through it next time? Or just do as many sprints as I can until either it starts hurting again or i get 6-8?

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Definitely do not push through it. If you feel pain (injury type pain, not just the "burn" from exercising) cease the exercise and switch to something else for the remainder of the workout, or just cut it short. Sprinting on a regular basis will help to stop this pain but always make sure you have a dynamic warm up to get your CNS system online. Static stretching before sprinting is not good and will only lead to injury, do more dynamic movements like skips, high knees, etc, to make your your body is prepped for the all-out work. This warm up should be roughly 10 minutes in length.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I try to always jog or bike to where I'm going to sprint to get warmed up. And then from there, I'll run the sprint at about 50 - 60% of my real pace a couple of times. Seems to do the trick.

I grok, therefore I am.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

My advice is to sprint on softer surfaces to prevent injuries. Grass, sand, rubberized track, all good. Concrete and asphalt will lead to muscle pulls and strains. Justin's dynamic warm up is the way to go.

claude512 is offline Senior Member

I had the same in the beginning, but it got better over time 9actually i had sharp pains in my shins)... like everything, you have to get used to sprinting first, get good form at it etc... so ease into it, the first couple of times don't go overboard, start easy, and you'll get there!

You might want to read up on good sprinting technique too (or look on youtube, many good videos there), good form is very important for preventing injuries!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I sometimes do a light job for a bit then stop and stretch before I start sprinting. The knee pain could be a lot of things... even a tight calf muscle.

misathemeb is offline Member

sounds like a tendon coming down from your hamstring. you could try a progressive sprint or bounding before you go into the all out sprint. def listen to your body & pain responses. you don't want to injure yourself in the long term.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

I had this in the beginning as well. The thing that worked for me was adding 20-30 frog jumps, basically a jump and squat, before sprinting. Doesn't happen anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast