Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stretch before sprinting? page 2

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

It took me several months of working through shin pains, achilles issues, and technique...before I was able to sprint without pain. As with all ballistic exercises, proper form is very important. I always do progressive sprinting/bounding, and work up to full sprints, and it's usually after my kettlebell/club/mace workout so my body's warm.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Not sure if you ran much before but you definitely want to condition your legs a bit before you just start off with sprinting. As mentioned above, make sure you have a good dynamic warm up but you may need to take a week or more to condition your legs to running. Often times you feel more discomfort in the tendons and ligaments if they are not accustomed to it. Def not something to push thru.

Paneristi is offline Member

You must stretch out your hamstring - always

maba is offline Senior Member

Slightly off topic, I did weights yesterday and did leg press on Nautilus using 180 lbs. Can I go sprinting today or must I wait for my muscles to recover?

Mr B Guest

"You must stretch out your hamstring - always "

wouldn't suggest that prior to sprinting.

sprinting is an anaerobic exercise. it's not recommend that you stretch the muscles that are going to be working prior to working them....it encourages a loss of needed tension.

it is however, recommended that one stretch the opposing muscle group(s).

mstrudle is offline Member

I have never noticed a difference in how I feel between stretching and not stretching when I go running for cross-country, which is usually a mixture of lower-impact jogging, 200 to 800 meter sprints, and long tempo runs. However, it does seem to produce something of a psychological benefit in that I feel safer and looser after I have stretched.

Perhaps you should do yoga, and then you won't have to worry either way.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@mstrudle

I believe anaerobic workout requires welldone warmups. I have read that stretching can be counter productive. The warmup should also contain overall exercise and specific to te workout.

You were doing slow running and not sprints so you would be helped by stretching. Even stretching requires some warmup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12