Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EXTREMELY dry legs, symptom of what? page 2

Daughter of Grok Guest

Shop Now

Ecala- Yes, my elbows are the other spot that often get dry. Those are basically the only two spots that do.

I have lived in both hot and cold weather, and skin remains the same regardless. I take cold showers and use all natural essential oil based body washes without sodium lauryl sulfate or any of that stuff in there.

What Ecala said seems to fit best, and my mom does have thyroid issues. However, if that is what I have I don't want to take medications like she does. Is there a natural way of getting that under control?

Daughter of Grok Guest

Thank you so much Ecala! So I looked up the symptoms and they are like all of my biggest issues practically to a tee! You are brilliant! Now I just need to figure out a natural way of fixing it without getting all medicated

Jedi is offline Member

DoG could all your long distance running be having negative effects on your thyroid?

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Well, you could check into taking some iodine. Idolized salt was supposed to take care of that but there's still a deficiency-- especially if you live near the Great Lakes.

Read this

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/iodine-deficiency-is-real.html

and more here

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=iodine

Other than that, I'd reduce stress and take vitamins and some L-tyrosine and selenium.

sarahlf124 Guest

"I don't use lotion or anything, I'm au naturelle."

The first thing that pops into my mind is that the soaps and shaving creams or lotions you're using are drying out your legs. If you really want to be "au naturelle", I would highly recommend using either coconut or olive oil to moisturize your legs. This will help to offset the drying effect of the other products you're using. Drinking water has no effect on the moisture of your skin- intake of fat does. Is your fat intake high?

Before going primal, I also had extremely dry, itchy legs. I found that eliminating wheat fixed that for me. I hope you find something that works for you, but even being primal, my skin needs moisture!

Good luck!

sarahlf124 Guest

...I must have missed reading your previous response- looks like you have found a likely reason for it! I hope that's it and you can get it taken care of!

shine2308 Guest

Dear Daughter of Grok

if u want to treat hypothyroidism urself without any medications,i would suggest Suryanamaskar/sun salutations.Do atleast 20-30 rounds of it daily...its almost magical.

Along wid this,do some accupressure urself,take a pen with a round end or a pencil n put pressure on the soft part of ur palm just beneath the thumb,locate the point by pressing,wherever u feel pain is the actual dormant point,make it active by rotating n pressing the pen clockwise.do it just before u eat something n atleast 5-6 times a day,100 presses at a time,u will see t result in just 2 weeks...all t best n God bless!!

Wild Wendy Guest

Supplementation with Iodine (Lugol's or Idoral) can help. I've been using them for almost a month with lots of hypothyroid symptoms at the beginning (dry and itchy calves that itched so much they bled, low body temp, cold hands and feet, etc). My calves finally look normal. Curezone has a forum about this (iodine supplementation).

I refused to go to a Doc about this. Mostly because it is hard to diagnose and more because I didn't want to take meds. My calves are normal now. My body temp is almost perfect and my weight is finally coming off. Worth a try, anyway.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Do you have forces hot air heat (meaning vents that push out hot air).

If so you need a humidifier in your home...

emmie is offline Senior Member

If you think there's a problem with your dry skin, then you should consult a good dermatologist.

However, if your skin reflects a hypothyroid condition, you've received very bad advice here.

First, your mother is not taking 'meds.' When you are deficient in thyroid hormones, the only solution is to take those hormones orally. There are no other solutions. Thyroid pills are pure hormones; they provide the ones your body is failing to produce.

And if like 7 of 10 women who are hypo, you happen to have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, supplemental iodine can actually hurt rather than help.

Keep in mind that if you're hypothyroid, dry skin is only one of many physical problems you can develop, so ignoring this issue because you don't want "to take meds" is, quite frankly, not a healthy choice at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast