Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: A question regarding waste products, warning-graphic details page

  1. #1
    JonnyH's Avatar
    JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    196

    A question regarding waste products, warning-graphic details

    Shop Now
    I wonder if anyone can help, I have been Primal for about a year, stick pretty much to the diet, the occassionally cheat, but not regularly.
    I have lost weight, I'm very slim, 5'9", was 145 lbs, have now dropped to 138lbs without really trying.
    I eat around 60-100g of carbs per day, depending on exercise that day, 120g of protein, sometimes more, but not much, and lots of fat, coconut oil, butter, EVOO, Macamadia nuts, avocadoes etc.
    My question is regarding my stools, I go about every 2-3 days, and for the last 6 months or so I find it very hard to pass stools, I dont feel constipated, it's just that the stools are big and hard to pass, I often have blood on the tissue afterwards, I did warn you about the details!
    The other issue with the stools is that they are now speckled with little white bits of what looks like undigested food. The only food I can think of that it might be is macamadia nuts, which I have a handful of most days, or garlic, I have started to have raw chopped garlic on my food recently.
    Could it be undigested food? if so what can be done about this? maybe I'm not absorbing fat as I should be? I do get a pain under my right rib after a fatty meal, like a slight stich.
    When I've tried VLC i have struggled with it and lost more weight, I went down to 132lbs for a while on VLC, but with lots of fat. recently I have added sweet potatoes to my diet and have gained a bit and feel better, just was a bit concerned about the toilet habits.
    Sorry for the long post, any ideas about the large, hard stools, or the white bits in them, or the fat absortion issue maybe?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    cookie's Avatar
    cookie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    northwest ohio
    Posts
    421
    i hope not to work you up, bu maybe you should be checked for a hernia. everything about this sounds like a hernia or diverticulitis to me. you should call your md and see if you can be ref. to a GI. -at least, that is what i would do. keep us posted!
    peace,
    liz

  3. #3
    JonnyH's Avatar
    JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    i hope not to work you up, bu maybe you should be checked for a hernia. everything about this sounds like a hernia or diverticulitis to me. you should call your md and see if you can be ref. to a GI. -at least, that is what i would do. keep us posted!
    peace,
    liz
    Thanks for reply Liz, just read up on diverticulitis, sounds like from some of the symptoms that could be it, which the main cause is lack of fibre according to a site I've just been on.
    When you say hernia, do you mean hiatus hernia? I was diagonosed with that years ago, but the symptoms then were more of a burning pain under the right hand rib cage, I get like a stich now under the ribs, it's like someone has there fingers under my rib cage and are tring to pull up!

    Thanks again for replying.

    Jonny

  4. #4
    Blackcatbone's Avatar
    Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2,192
    First and foremost, you should see a doctor if the symptoms have been going on for this long. It's probably nothing serious, but it's best to have a professional investigate.

    That said, I was dealing with symptoms very similar to yours, saw a doctor, and it was helped mostly by my own interventions. Specks in your stools are most likely bits of nuts. The blood on your toilet paper, if it's bright red, is most likely hemorrhoids caused by the large stools. Going every two-three days is constipation, even if you don't feel constipated. Constipation, without an obvious cause like a blockage or medication, is usually caused by dysbiosis, or a bacterial imbalance. Fecal matter is mostly bacteria, so if that's out of whack then you have a problem. Read this post: Cooling Inflammation: Constipation, Gut Flora and Health and have a look around this website: GutSense.org for more information.

    I was having poop problems caused by gluten intolerance and made worse by CW advice. Eating paleo/primal solved them but initially I made it a point to add plenty of pro and prebiotic foods. Raw greens and herbs, not too washed, fresh tomatoes with some olive oil, cruciferous veg (leeks and cabbage are really good) and raw milk and cheese. If you don't do dairy or are uncomfortable with the idea of raw you don't have to include them. Milk is a bit more difficult to get hold of for many people but some cheeses can be found at health food stores.

    As for the pain under your rib cage, again, this is something to discuss with your doctor, but I've had that as well, and it can be gas or your guts protesting. It's somewhat common in IBS, which makes me think it could be something you're eating. It could be your gall bladder, which is why you should consult your doctor to be sure. Some people just can't consume as much fat in one sitting. Others have to slowly increase the fat so your body has time to adjust to producing the bile needed to digest it.

  5. #5
    Metismomma's Avatar
    Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    990
    Constipation
    Going every 2-3 days does not necessarily mean constipation.
    The blood might be the result of a fissure, a slight tear. Not necessarily hemmorhoids either.
    I agree with adding more probiotics to your diet in the form of fermented foods and possibly adding digestive enzymes to help break down you food.

    If it was diverticulitis, then this article might help (from Gutsense.com again hah! bookmarked )
    Either way, go see a doctor if its worrying you. You are probably having some gall bladder issues.
    Calm the f**k down.

  6. #6
    JonnyH's Avatar
    JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    First and foremost, you should see a doctor if the symptoms have been going on for this long. It's probably nothing serious, but it's best to have a professional investigate.

    That said, I was dealing with symptoms very similar to yours, saw a doctor, and it was helped mostly by my own interventions. Specks in your stools are most likely bits of nuts. The blood on your toilet paper, if it's bright red, is most likely hemorrhoids caused by the large stools. Going every two-three days is constipation, even if you don't feel constipated. Constipation, without an obvious cause like a blockage or medication, is usually caused by dysbiosis, or a bacterial imbalance. Fecal matter is mostly bacteria, so if that's out of whack then you have a problem. Read this post: Cooling Inflammation: Constipation, Gut Flora and Health and have a look around this website: GutSense.org for more information.

    I was having poop problems caused by gluten intolerance and made worse by CW advice. Eating paleo/primal solved them but initially I made it a point to add plenty of pro and prebiotic foods. Raw greens and herbs, not too washed, fresh tomatoes with some olive oil, cruciferous veg (leeks and cabbage are really good) and raw milk and cheese. If you don't do dairy or are uncomfortable with the idea of raw you don't have to include them. Milk is a bit more difficult to get hold of for many people but some cheeses can be found at health food stores.

    As for the pain under your rib cage, again, this is something to discuss with your doctor, but I've had that as well, and it can be gas or your guts protesting. It's somewhat common in IBS, which makes me think it could be something you're eating. It could be your gall bladder, which is why you should consult your doctor to be sure. Some people just can't consume as much fat in one sitting. Others have to slowly increase the fat so your body has time to adjust to producing the bile needed to digest it.
    Thanks so much for your reply, firstly, the blood, it is bright red, so the large stools are causing that, as I expected.
    When you say I’m not constipated because I only go 2-3, should you go every day, does everyone go that regularly? I’ve read on some primal forums that as there is less waste on this diet, the need to go daily is diminished.

    On the subject of diet, I steam cabbage, brocolli, cauli, carrots etc on a daily basis, should I have these raw, or just the cabbage? Also what herbs do you suggest?
    I am just this week found a farm that sells raw milk, and will be going there this weekend to
    get some.
    I also have a greek style priobotic yoghurt weekly, maybe I’ll have a little bit daily,
    I will also make an appt to see the doc soon as well.

    Thanks also for the links, I have just read the cooling inflammation one, the line at the bottom:

    ‘The gut may also have an impact on gut flora and a diet that does not contribute to inflammation in the body, e.g. lacks fructose and vegetable oils, may also support an anti-inflammatory gut flora’

    I have very little fruit, a handful of berries and 1 or 2 plums a day, maybe I’ll cut those out, and I try to steer clear of veg oils, so should be ok there.

    Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Blackcatbone's Avatar
    Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    Constipation
    Going every 2-3 days does not necessarily mean constipation.
    True, true, but if it's a large volume every few days it sounds like it could be.

  8. #8
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    My question is regarding my stools, I go about every 2-3 days, and for the last 6 months or so I find it very hard to pass stools, I dont feel constipated, it's just that the stools are big and hard to pass, I often have blood on the tissue afterwards, I did warn you about the details!
    Try eating more.

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    The other issue with the stools is that they are now speckled with little white bits of what looks like undigested food. The only food I can think of that it might be is macamadia nuts, which I have a handful of most days, or garlic, I have started to have raw chopped garlic on my food recently.
    Could it be undigested food? if so what can be done about this? maybe I'm not absorbing fat as I should be?
    Calories out... the fallacy of trying to count calories. Not accusing you of it, just pointing it out. It may be easier to simply eat more.

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    ... just was a bit concerned about the toilet habits.
    Sorry for the long post, any ideas about the large, hard stools, or the white bits in them, or the fat absortion issue maybe?
    Thanks
    I've had similar experience with very high fat diets, particularly if I've eaten a lot of cheese.

  9. #9
    Blackcatbone's Avatar
    Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    On the subject of diet, I steam cabbage, brocolli, cauli, carrots etc on a daily basis, should I have these raw, or just the cabbage? Also what herbs do you suggest?
    I am just this week found a farm that sells raw milk, and will be going there this weekend to
    get some.
    I also have a greek style priobotic yoghurt weekly, maybe I’ll have a little bit daily,
    I will also make an appt to see the doc soon as well.

    Thanks also for the links, I have just read the cooling inflammation one, the line at the bottom:

    ‘The gut may also have an impact on gut flora and a diet that does not contribute to inflammation in the body, e.g. lacks fructose and vegetable oils, may also support an anti-inflammatory gut flora’

    I have very little fruit, a handful of berries and 1 or 2 plums a day, maybe I’ll cut those out, and I try to steer clear of veg oils, so should be ok there.

    Thanks again.
    Raw cabbage can be hard on the guts until you get used to it, so if you do eat it raw go slow. Heh, no pun intended. The veg that's best to eat raw would be greens, like lettuces and herbs. Preferably home grown but if not then from a farmer's market and organic. You want to rinse off the grit and visible dirt but leave the natural bacteria on it, as that's where you get probiotic cultures from. Also, eating a variety of foods introduces different bacteria which creates a more diverse flora, which is what you want. I'm chomping at the bit to get my herb garden started. I like to pick an assortment of leafy herbs and throw them in a salad.

    As for the fruits, berries are fine, but you may also be reacting to the plums. Many stone fruits have sorbitol, which some people have a hard time digesting and can cause either diarrhea or constipation. If you think this may be a problem you could try eliminating them for awhile and see if it helps.

  10. #10
    JonnyH's Avatar
    JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    True, true, but if it's a large volume every few days it sounds like it could be.
    It's not necessarily a large volume, just bulky, if that makes sense!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •