Thread: Could it be?? I'm in Ketosis already? page

StarCharm is offline Member

Could it be?? I'm in Ketosis already?

Primal Fuel
    I started eating Primally 7 days ago, eating about 60-85 g of carbs per day. About three days ago I started noticing the fuzziness feeling Mark describes here: Low Carb Diets Affect Short Term Memory | Mark's Daily Apple

I used my Dad's old Ketostix and "moderate" ketones were detected. The problem with this is the Stix expired in 2006! Now I've heard about the unreliability of (expired and fresh) Ketostix, so should I completely disregard this reading? Why not buy a fresh pack? My local supermarket doesn't get another order in until the weekend, so I have to wait.

Until then I'm wondering, is it even possible that I could be in Ketosis after just a week of eating Primally?? I'm definitely having the cognitive sluggishness with a slight change in my breath. I was expecting the process to be much more complicated, especially since I am not VLC! Do some factors like age, current weight, exercising or caloric intake effect how long it takes to enter Ketosis?

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I'm in ketosis by the second day when I do about 20g carb. So yes possible you are in ketosis but as you said you are not really VLC. I really wouldn't bother measuring ketones. If you are losing FAT and inches that's all you really need to know. Some people never seem to go in ketosis. With Primal I don't think most are in ketosis.

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    I have tested my self a few times now and best result I got once was trace.

When I first began I was in ketosis within two days but I went VLC. It last for a few weeks and there were noticeable signs in addition to the ketostix turning dark purple. At some point, however, I just stopped showing any signs and the ketostix remain negative... and thy are to this day-I check every few weeks or so. I chock it up to my body being more regulated/adapted to this way of living and not having ketones spilling out into my urine...

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    I live in Ketosis. And have been in Ketosis since about the 2nd or 3rd day of PB. The first big water flush your body does when you go LC or VLC will usually bring people into Ketosis.That is your body using its glycogen stores (water is used in the body to make glucose into glycogen) and "getting" into Ketosis.

As for the Ketostix and measuring Ketosis...yes,the ones from 2006 are bad for accurate analysis. However, what they can still be used for is to determine whether you are in Ketosis at all....or not. If you get ANY pink coloration on them...you are in. If you dont....you aren't. I would used them up and not just toss them...especially since you dont have any more on hand right now.

As for how hard it is to get in Ketosis and stay there.....EVERYONE is different. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise (there are people on these boards that will try to tell you to eat as many carbs as them...because they have found what works for THEM. THEY ARE NOT YOU. I would suggest you find your carb threshold for yourself and then you can use that to go in and out of Ketosis as needed by YOU. Let me know if you have questions about finding your carb threshold).

Personally, for me, I do VLC because I like it. I get all of my carbs from veggies. And I have lost an average of 8.6 lbs per month (26 total from start). Dont be afraid to experiment with VLC if you want. Remember, there are NO essential nutrients in carbohydrates. None. Zero. You dont need them to live or live healthy....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

[QUOTE=nachobrawler;393325]I I would suggest you find your carb threshold for yourself and then you can use that to go in and out of Ketosis as needed by YOU. Let me know if you have questions about finding your carb threshold.
    QUOTE]

So what is a carb threshold and how would I find it?
    I eat wat I would call low carb now.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Your carb threshold is the individual "line" where you, specifically your body, switches over from running on ketones to running on glucose. This threshold varies for each individual. Some may hit it low...at like 20g or so of carbs a day. And some are more lucky and can go upwards of 80-100g per day and still be in Ketosis. But the important thing to remember is no two people are exactly the same. And to diet low carb or very low carb effectively, its a good idea to know where your "line in the sand" is.That way, you have complete control over how much carbs you are allowed personally so as to stay in Ketosis. Or if you like living on the edge of Ketosis...(some do-not me)...you can do that too by knowing your carb threshold.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

So is there a way to find this line?
    Thanks

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    So is there a way to find this line?
    Thanks
    Experiment with the amount of carbs you intake. I go into ketosis at around 20g carbs maybe I could have more carbs and still be in ketosis but haven't experimented. Plus I've stopped checking ketones a few years ago.