Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is bed the best place to sleep? page

Eegah is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I recall reading an interview with MovNat's Erwan La Corre in which he said he only ever slept on the floor. Is sleeping on the floor a better option than a bed?

A carpet, rug, sleeping bag, duvet or blanket would probably give a closer approximation to Grok's bed in terms of 'comfort'. Are modern beds too 'comfortable'? I've slept in a variety of places and temperatures outdoors from snow holes to tree branches (that did require a good piece of rope for extra security!) and, no doubt the fresh air helped, have always felt that I slept better than on any bed.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I had a futon for several years, and always seemed to wake up stiff, sore, and cranky.

Then I purchased a REAL bed, with pillow-top mattress.

I have washable silk sheets.

It is heaven ;-)

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Whatever works for you, I think! I've slept in lots of different environments and to be honest, a proper firm mattress, one pillow and a decent duvet is fine for me. I really don't want to sleep on the side of a mountain on a regular basis!

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

I do have to say that sometimes when I switch things up and sleep on my couch every once in a while, I get a much better night sleep.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

My bed is more like a raised floor. Regular bed height, but no mattress -- only a thin, foam pad over a solid surface. It's wonderful. Mattresses, and especially box sprints, suck.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

one_eye_mike Guest

When you're young you can sleep about any where, when you get older sleeping on a good quality mattress is your only option, unless you really want to jack up your back and neck.

Grok would have loved a modern mattress if he'd had access to one.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I agree, Mike. My (much younger) sister slept on a chair once when she had to crash at our house one night and she was fine in the morning. I would have been walking around like a question mark for days...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I've spent time in quite a few third-world countries where young and old slept on the ground. Could it be that sleeping on a hard surface is quite manageable -- even healthful -- IF one does not become accustomed to a soft bed? It's the same logic as barefoot vs running shoes: we only "need" the shoes because we've allowed our bodies to become dependent on them.

But what do I know? I'm only 31.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Soul Searcher Guest

I think go for whatever is comfortable, switch it up often, and try to sleep outside as much as possible.

maba is offline Senior Member

My grandmother in India slept on the floor since I'd known her. She'd spread a thin mat made out of straw and use a hand made pillow stuffed with cotton, that over time had compressed and turned hard. And she'd never worn shoes all her life. That was the only aspect I never understood, she'd go barefooted anywhere she went. I understand now. She was healthy and active until 2 days before she died.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast