Thread: Mifflin vs. Harris-Benedict page

llewin is offline Member

Mifflin vs. Harris-Benedict

Shop Now
    Hi.

It's possible this discussion has already happened, if so please point me to it... I searched the forum posts but didn't find anything with "mifflin" in the search...

So I checked out the BMR calculators online and most of them seem to only give the Harris-Benedict result but some also give the Mifflin result and those few seem to be of the opinion that the Mifflin result is much more accurate.

I'd like to know what the general consensus here is because my results are vastly different from the two methods.

I'm 6'4" tall, about 360lbs (hopefully a bit less after a week of this diet type but I haven't got a scale to check, and 32 years old.

According to the calculations I've done my lean body mass is about 222 lbs. So I guess that would make my current fat mass about 39% of total mass.

The Mifflin method calculates my BMR at 2685 Calories/Day and the Harris-Benedict method calculates me at 3062 Calories/Day.

SO which one is accurate?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that the consensus here is that any BMR calculation is, at best, an estimation. I've always read that Mifflin-St Jeor is considered more accurate, but it's still a just an estimate.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

llewin is offline Member
    Holla, Yeah I get that they are estimates but really...400 calories difference seems like a big difference between them...

I'll go with the Mifflin estimate since it is generally considered *more* accurate.