Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out all at once page

z90xhccs is offline Junior Member

Working out all at once

Primal Fuel
    I have my doubts that Grok was the type of person to drop down and do 50 push ups so that he could build up his upper body. Do you guys have any thoughts on dispersing workouts throughout the day or week even? It seems like lifting (or doing a move) until failure or close to it isn't very primal. Just wondering what y'all's (I realize how silly y'all looks as a possessive) thoughts are!
    Thanks!
    -Zach

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, ever tried moving a dead elk without a 4wheeler? Flipping 800 pounds with legs and horns through brush is a lot like doing squats to failure, or close to.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I think people have to get past the fact that we are not trying to be Grok. We eat primally because we believe it is the healthiest way to eat. We move frequently because yes Grok did but also because we know a sedentary life style isn't healthy. The same things goes for lifting heavy things and sprinting. These are things we know are good for us.

No I'm sure Grok didn't bang out 50 pushups but like Eklecktika said I'm sure he had some maximum exertion days. I personally lift three times a week. It allows me to get adequate rest to grow and get stronger but it also fits my shedule and keeps me from feeling like I have to go to the gym. I suppose you could work out every day through out the day but you will not gain the strength you would from heavy lifting a couple times a week. Maximum or close to effort is needed to tear down muscle and make it grow. Even if your not trying to get big heavy squatting for example is great for total body fitness and it also releases testosterone and other needed hormones.
    "Live Free or Die"

Thanks for the responses.
    This is true. What about perhaps breaking up each move into max exertion throughout the day for separate muscle groups? As say waking up, doing pushups and then doing squats and then repeating, and later in the day doing pull ups and shoulder presses and planks, or something like that?
    Would that lead to over training? I am really just wondering if there are any other options out there than the going at it all at once.

Well I'm sure you could but honestly in my experience if I was to do squats at max effort in the morning I would have no leg muscles to do deadlifts in the after noon. I could probably do standing shoulder press though and pushups. Are you going to be lifting weights or are you talking about air squats?

If you try to do the whole body even split up every day yes you will eventually over train. I'm in and out of the gym in 45-60 min. Why do you want to have to work out all day? Getting it out of the way in an hour and only lifting three days a week frees up alot of time.
    "Live Free or Die"

I am just curious as to what my options are. Sometimes I want to do a workout earlier in the day but do not have time to do the full lift, so I have to do the entire thing later which is frustrating.
    I currently do the fitness plan as outlined in PB, so just push ups, pull ups, squats, overhead press, plank and side plank. No worrying about squats and dead lifts later.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Technically wouldn't working to failure be working to death for Grok?

Huh I don't recall a fitness plan in the PB but then again I can't remember shit lol. Lets put it this way. If your only really doing bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, planks etc then do them throughout the day if that is what works into your schedule. I doubt you will over train doing body weight.
    "Live Free or Die"

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf had a good quote in his podcast. "We're not doing historical reenactment, we're providing a frame work for modern living"
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Technically wouldn't working to failure be working to death for Grok?
    We are not Grok. We do not have to run from hungry animals.
    Last edited by Bostonbully; 03-30-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Yea what Federkeil said
    "Live Free or Die"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast