Thread: Simplefit vs 5x5 vs PFB? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Simplefit vs 5x5 vs PFB?

Primal Fuel
    So I am starting whole 30 today and I want to try a new routine to go along with it. I've been doing mostly squats and pushups along with focusing on getting moving - I injured myself a few weeks back so I ditched a lot of the heavy lifting to let myself heal. Now I am coming back and I want to try one of these.

Couple bits of information.

I am very overweight with a large waist and not a lot of flexibility - in the PBF I cannot do the inverted presses because my gut is in the way.

I have access to a gym if I need to, so I can use barbells, weights, etc.

What do you all suggest?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    simplefit and PBF are a completely different creature from stronglifts. they are all great programs in my opinion...i actually finished the beginner level of stronglifts then switched to simplefit, then moved to PBF when Mark came out with it. but they focus on different things. stronglifts is about strength, pure and simple. the bodyweight programs will increase your strength, but they mostly focus on endurance. they all pretty much cover the same major muscle groups though.

your goals will determine which program is best for you, strength vs. endurance. however, i will say that i am glad that i did stronglifts first to learn proper form, build strength and really burn some fat before i started the bodyweight programs.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't think one is better than the other, it's more about what fits your personal goals and also preferences - do you like going to a gym, or hate it? Are you interested in high "limit strength" - ability to lift a fridge or a motorcycle, or are you more interested in beach body abs? Until you really say what you want to use your fitness for, there is no right or wrong answer. You should pick a program that interests and challenges you as well as gets you moving in the right direction.
    In general, exercises that are very tough so that you can only do a few of them will build your absolute strength the best ( ie 3x5 barbell program), and exercises you can do a lot of will build your muscular endurance and muscle size the best (ie PBF, etc.). Either of them, done intensely, will contribute to cardio development to some extent.

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Well I can barely do PBF at level 2 so I have a long way to go with either. I am leaning towards 5x5 right now because it will be good to relearn form, and it requires a bit less flexibility/