Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Reading VAP CHolesterol Report page

Robin is offline Member

Help with Reading VAP CHolesterol Report

Shop Now
    I finally got my cholesterol checked after being primal for approx 2 months. I'm having alot of trouble deciphering the report. I've looked at all Griff's posts but I'm still not sure if what I'm interpreting is correct.
    Regarding the report below:
    1. What is my real LDL level and is it Pattern A or B?
    Report is very confusing to me! Anyone help?? Thanks!
    And while my levels seem somewhat off the charts, anyone care to comment on ratios?
    Needless to say, doc hit the roof! Wants me to go and have a CTA scan (I think its basically a CT scan of all cardiac blood vessels) and depending on the result, said we would "talk" about" Lipitor type drugs. At which point he basically lost me.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    CHolesterol..jpg

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Robin, I tried to click on your Cholesterol link and got invalid attachment. Try and link it again.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Robin is offline Member
    When I try and view the attachment, it says "pending approval" when I'm logged out, but if I log in, I can see the attachment fine.
    Is that because I've never attached anything before?

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Not sure then, I get this error "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" when trying to view it.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Why not just give us your numbers instead of trying to attach a picture? It's just easier. Type it out for us.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Robin is offline Member
    OK, so lets try this again, as I can't seem to get the attachment to show up.

The report itself is laid out in a very confusing manner, which is why I wanted to post it, but here's what I get so far:
    (ones marked with ** are noted to be out of range)

TOTAL LDL-C Direct: 255**
    TOTAL HDL-C Direct: 81
    TOTAL VLDL-C Direct: 18
    Triglycerides-Direct: 69
    SUM TOTAL CHOLESTEROL: 354**
    TOTAL NON-HDL-C (LDL+VLDL) v: 273**
    TOTAL APOB 100-CALC: 167**

Then farther down the page:
    LP (a) CHOLESTEROL: 36.0**
    IDL-C: 16
    REAL-LDL-C: 203**
    SUM TOTAL LDL-C: 255**
    REAL-LDL SIZE PATTERN: A
    REMNANT LIPO (IDL=VLDL3): 27
    Consider Insulin Resist/Metabolic Syndrome: NO

Sub Class Information:
    HDL-2 (Large, Buoyant): 30 (range indicated is >15 mg/dL)
    HDL-3 (Small, Dense): 51 (range indicated is >25 mg/dL)
    VLDL-s (Remnant LIPO): 11** (range indicated is <10 mg/dL)

So I'm very unsure of which numbers to use to calculate ratios, etc.
    The doctor that did the test seemed to think I was about to die of a massive heart attack, and this is a guy who was recommended to me by someone who swore he really "got it". Guess not.
    So am I halfway in the grave??

Have been primal since the middle of January. These results were from sample drawn on 3/14. Previous to this I haven't had my cholesterol checked in over 15 yrs, so have no comparison.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Picture is now showing. The line chart at the bottom shows your LDL pattern is type A. HDL and Trigs are good. I'd not be worried but the high LDL may indicate either a thyroid problem or a copper issue (either deficiency or biounavailability due to zinc deficiency). Might want to get those checked out.

And tell the physician where to stick the statins
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Robin is offline Member
    Already basically told him what he could do with his statins......maybe a bit more politely, but I'm sure he got the message.

Did have thyroid tested at the same time:
    TSH, 3rd Gen: 2.19
    T4, free: 1.1
    T4, Total: 6.9
    T3, free: 2.8
    T3, Total: 86
    All well within ranges specified.

Don't see anything on zinc, but he did a whole panel on vitamins/minerals, so going to call him and ask.

Thanks.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Your LDL is pattern A.

Pattern A is considered to be the large, fluffy LDL that is not associated with heart disease. In other words, benign. Diets high in saturated fat tend to produce pattern A.

Pattern B is the small, dense LDL that gets into your artery walls and facilitates inflammation and plaque. Diets high in carbohydrates tend to produce pattern B.

I recommend you choose a doctor that can explain to you the difference between Pattern A and Pattern B. If he can't explain the difference he doesn't know anything about cholesterol enough to advise you.

Robin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Your LDL is pattern A.

Pattern A is considered to be the large, fluffy LDL that is not associated with heart disease. In other words, benign. Diets high in saturated fat tend to produce pattern A.

Pattern B is the small, dense LDL that gets into your artery walls and facilitates inflammation and plaque. Diets high in carbohydrates tend to produce pattern B.

I recommend you choose a doctor that can explain to you the difference between Pattern A and Pattern B. If he can't explain the difference he doesn't know anything about cholesterol enough to advise you.
    He didn't need to explain it to me, as I had already had done enough research to know the difference. But he was well aware of the diff. Told me that if it were B he might not let me leave the office for fear of me dropping dead on the sidewalk! (said deadpan but with a hint of seriousness) his feeling is that regardless of the pattern type/ratios/good trig etc., my overall number is way too high and so is the LDL number. He wants me to get some tests where he can visually see what the plaque situation is in my cardiac blood vessels. My question is that the test he wants me to have (VAT-some kind of radiographic study) is quite expensive so trying to figure out if it's worth doing or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast