Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Article: Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie

Shop Now
    It's here:
    Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie*|*Men’s Journal

It's a long article so I suggest skipping the history of all the CW he was following before and why gyms work that way... To skip it, go to page 3 here:

There's also an interesting chart here:

So, what do you all think? Sounds relatively on-target to me compared to what people usually think they have to do. This article just seems to focus on lifting as opposed to bodyweight exercises (but more advanced people seem to automatically progress to lifting anyway.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

worthc is offline Junior Member
    Good article!!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    (but more advanced people seem to automatically progress to lifting anyway.)
    Actually, many of us (including Mark) have "advanced" to bodyweight work after years of lifting. It all depends on your goals.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Actually, many of us (including Mark) have "advanced" to bodyweight work after years of lifting. It all depends on your goals.
    and also your likes/dislikes. I prefer body weight but include weights for certain things.
    I'll read the article when I'm home.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    great article.
    it's been almost a year since i was in the gym doing the big lifts, as i've been using bodyweight programs for power and endurance...but this makes me want to get back in there for a little bit just to give it a go again.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Weights can be very rewarding, but there's more than one way to train. Some will tell you gymnastic rings are THE strength builder, others swear by sandbags, some by kettlebells, some by extreme calisthenics (serious bodyweight training)…

They all have one thing in common: intensity.

I’m going to post this on facebook though, women stand to benefit from reading this too even though it’s written for men.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I read that a couple months ago and shared it with my 19 year old son. He couldn't understand why he couldn't gain muscle even though he went to the gym everyday (and spent 90% of the time on the elliptical).
    Everything in that article I told him, but when you are a 19 year old male, Father = person that knows less than said 19 year old.
    He is still a cardio bunny, but at least now he does something besides bench and curls.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    100% awesome.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Good Article - best part were the graphs.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    I love this comparison:
    Most gyms do include a few token free weights, but think about where you’ll find them: around the edges of the room, like fresh fruits and vegetables in a supermarket that gives all the prime middle-of-the-store shelf space to Frosted Flakes and frozen cheesecake.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast