Thread: Inversion Table Users - Considerations in making a purchase...? page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

Inversion Table Users - Considerations in making a purchase...?

I am considering purchasing an inversion table due to repeat sacroiliac joint issues and cervical spine nerve compression.

I would be interested to hear from those who have used Inversion Therapy and those who own inversion tables on the effectiveness of the therapy and things to consider in making a purchase decision.

Thanks!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I just hang from my pullup bar... think you get the same benefit and increase grip strength.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I just hang from my pullup bar... think you get the same benefit and increase grip strength.
    I've read also that practicing handstands decompresses the spine, something to think about. You could also hang from your feet from a pull up bar if you're not strong enough for the handstand (you can do it against the wall, no need to actually balance)

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    I had one many years ago but had to give it up to move overseas in the military. But while I had it...I LOVED IT!
    I am working on the wife to get another...
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm very fond of hammering on the benefits of inversion tables. I had sciatica a couples years ago and I purchased one. I heard that hanging upside down would draw the fluids into the spinal column and allow my back to heal. When I got mine I started using it four or five times a day. I didn't mess around with partial inverting and being fulling inverted took just a little getting used to. My back started to heal, the pain that I was having went away, and I was able to workout again. To this day, ss ongoing maintenance, I invert every morning before I go to work.
    While I'm inverted I do some back stretches, inverted squats, inverted sit ups, and sideways inverted crunches for my obliques. I've started doing the inverted squats and sit ups with a dumbbell because I'm not weighing much these days and it feels good. My inversion routine is the one part of my workout that I do everyday.
    Obviously I use my inversion table for something other than hanging clothes. I think that it's a worth while investment for anyone that has a back bone that doesn't have a rod in it. Go for it.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I got one the year before still having to have back surgery. It helped a lot. I love it, but I had to get these cheap ugg-type boots to wear using it since it put a lot of stress on my ankles; high top sneakers would work too. Eleven years later I still use it; it's supposed to keep the old brain sharp. I think you could make one pretty easily out of plywood with a cross bar to hook onto, but you would need help getting on and off it.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Didn't they have something similar in the tower of london?

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I've read also that practicing handstands decompresses the spine, something to think about. You could also hang from your feet from a pull up bar if you're not strong enough for the handstand (you can do it against the wall, no need to actually balance)
    yea after falling flat on my back 5-6 times today trying freestanding i think the last one definately opened my spine up

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon tall tree View Post
    yea after falling flat on my back 5-6 times today trying freestanding i think the last one definately opened my spine up
    yeah... usually I just feel like i snapped it in half after a couple hard bails
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Havent used one, but have only heard good things about them. The alternatives proposed dont really cut it I believe (I have tried most of them....): most people cant hang long enough from a pull-up bar (and it is not upside down), hand-stand is inversion but also compression (and there is the risk of falling over). Hanging on your feet might work if you have an appropriate bar where you can go up and down safely