Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need An Elevator Speech page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Question Need An Elevator Speech

Primal Fuel
    When on vacation last week my sister-in-law asked me when my wife and I were going to start eating 'normal food' again. My first reaction was to ask her what's so abnormal about meat, veggies, and fruit. She then launched into the whole grains are good, wheat/grains are from the Earth (which is an idiotic argument). I could tell that I wasn't going to change her mind anyway, but unfortunately it was at the end of a long day and I couldn't really come up with any of the main reasons to not eat grains, sugars, etc.

So, I'm looking for the Primal elevator speech - something that I can give people like my sister-in-law in a few minutes, then let her either go get more info, or ignore totally. What do you tell people?

Springbean is offline Member
    Good question! I need a quick, succinct way to explain my lifestyle change. This isn't a "diet" or temporary, I have changed my life, and I won't be going back.

Kitty is offline Member
    I simply say:
    I dont eat grains, sugar or processed noms. When I eat like this I feel totally amazing, eat as much as i like, when I like, have bags of energy and lose weight if I need to.
    If I want dessert at a resturaunt I normally have another starter - like ribs
    The list of people who have found relief from all sorts from diabities to depression and oesteporosis to obesity is endless.
    You know, some people dont want to give up grains or sugar - but the reward if you do, far outweighs the cravings. I know many people who started eating like this and gave up - you know what? They *always* come back. You just cant describe how good you feel.

Dolly is offline Junior Member
    I just tell people that sugar and grains make me feel sick. That tends to shut people up. How can they argue with my personal experience of feeling better? Plus, it just isn't anyone's business!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I’m not going to be much help here. I have encountered too many 0.o looks from people if I try to explain. A buddy of mine lost a little over 50lbs after I talked to him and sent him links, then I notice the weight creeping back on but didn’t address it. “I did my part” I figured. I also routinely put up nutrition related articles (always leaning to primal/paleo obviously) on Facebook where all my friends could see it. This past Monday we were alone and he said something about how he just “can’t believe grains are bad for you, they’ve been around for a long time, they’re natural” and I just said to him “if you eat them in their natural state, you can’t digest them, they’re toxic, they need a lot of processing. I don’t really want to get into it right now (we were with other friends who were getting drinks and joining us) but just because we can ‘safely’ digest them after processing doesn’t make them GOOD for us, which is what I mostly argue against. Eat them if you want, just don’t go on believing that you’re doing yourself a favor by doing so, that’s all I’m saying” and we dropped it, but I think I loosely made my point.

I think its inevitable to get a little science-nerd on people after you say something as WILD as “whole grains are bad for you, whole wheat is bad for you” so I don’t know how you can elevator-pitch it honestly. I usually plant the seed and if approached for more I point them to MDA and/or Robb Wolf.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    there is no pasta tree. there is no bread plant. those things have been processed in some way, and just because something is edible it doesn't make it food. real food--normal food--is something that exists already. man has survived for two million years eating what is naturally available from the earth, and i don't need anything more than that.
    isn't it interesting that the doctors who say that whole grains are healthy are the same doctors pushing heart and cholesterol medication onto people? i don't claim to be smarter than a doctor, but look at the timeline of human history; problems started when we stopped finding our food and started farming our food. personally, i'll stick with what worked for my ancestors' ancestors.

of course, in saying this you'll undoubtedly get people talking about mortality rates, cholesterol numbers, and stuff like that, so you've got to know about that kind of stuff too.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    She then launched into the whole grains are good, wheat/grains are from the Earth (which is an idiotic argument).
    "So's poison ivy. Can I make you a salad?"

"You can make wallpaper paste from flour. Imagine what it does to your guts."

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    there is no pasta tree. there is no bread plant.
    Ah!!! This is my favorite!
    Little Saiyan

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    My 'simple' explanation when trying to explain to my mom (when she wanted to begin eating primal and couldn't figure it out) is that if we don't have the ability to eat it raw, we can eat it. That wasn't a heres-why-we-don't explanation, but you could take that and come up with one from it.
    Little Saiyan

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    there is no pasta tree.
    Well it's not Friday yet, but . . . .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast