Thread: carb counting/calorie counting/breaking plateau page

Dolly is offline Junior Member

carb counting/calorie counting/breaking plateau

Primal Fuel
    Alright, I have been doing PB since December and I freaking LOVE IT! I have never felt better in my entire life. When I started I kinda did it only half heartedly but definitely got off all grains and 15lbs magically came off. I was so grateful for that since I am now 305lbs. It has been the only thing that has worked for me in years. The problem is now I have been at 305lbs for about 2 months and can't seem to get the weight loss going again.
    So, I am wondering if maybe I need to be counting carbs or calories or both. I know all about fitday don't really understand how it works so started just keeping my own food log. Could it be for some people you need to go under 50 gr carb a day?? Or do you all just keep your calorie count really low for the day? It has been suggested that I only eat 2 meals a day but I kinda get really hungry by noon. It has also been suggested to me that I eat more fats but then how do you keep your calories lower?
    Just as an fyi-I am exercising. I wear a pedometer and makes sure I hit 10,000 steps a day. I do about 30 minutes of karate kata per day also. And, now I am starting to do simple strength training using pushups and squats.
    So, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the book yet? Primal Blueprint.
    Read about this guy. He did it right.

Amazing!

The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    Have you read the book yet? Primal Blueprint.
    Read about this guy. He did it right.

Amazing!

The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple
    YES I have read the book. Probably about 4 times now. I am trying to express that something isn't working for me and I am trying to figure out what it is. I am very familiar with Amazing Dave. I have read his success story once a day since it was posted. But, I didn't read anywhere where he gives exactly his daily menu and work out plan. Plus, he is a guy with way more muscle mass than a woman has. So, it is going to be slightly different for a woman.

Bunnyfoot is offline Member
    You may need to start tracking your intake. Some people DO need to restrict their carbs and calories further. Also, cutting out dairy and nuts might be necessary for you to get your weight loss moving again - if your body is getting all the fuel it needs from your diet...it's not going to use it from your storage tanks.

Fruit is another big one for some people - you may have to restrict that further as well.

Thanks Bunnyfoot, I will keep your suggestions in mind from now on. I don't do nuts at all. Fruit is only once a day thing. And, dairy I only use in my morning coffee. But, I am willing to give it up Thanks again for your help!!!

scooby is offline Member
    You said you've been keeping your own diaries. Could you post a few days worth? Normally, at your stage in the process, people are able to lose without explicitly tracking. So it might be as simple as finding a few obvious things that you should avoid. You do mention getting "really hungry" by noon, so I suspect some further carb reduction might help you if only because ketogenic diets supress appetite. But in any case, it might be helpful to know what your intuitive baseline is.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Alright, I have been doing PB since December and I freaking LOVE IT! I have never felt better in my entire life. When I started I kinda did it only half heartedly but definitely got off all grains and 15lbs magically came off. I was so grateful for that since I am now 305lbs. It has been the only thing that has worked for me in years. The problem is now I have been at 305lbs for about 2 months and can't seem to get the weight loss going again.
    So, I am wondering if maybe I need to be counting carbs or calories or both. I know all about fitday don't really understand how it works so started just keeping my own food log. Could it be for some people you need to go under 50 gr carb a day?? Or do you all just keep your calorie count really low for the day? It has been suggested that I only eat 2 meals a day but I kinda get really hungry by noon. It has also been suggested to me that I eat more fats but then how do you keep your calories lower?
    Just as an fyi-I am exercising. I wear a pedometer and makes sure I hit 10,000 steps a day. I do about 30 minutes of karate kata per day also. And, now I am starting to do simple strength training using pushups and squats.
    So, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!
    I cut my carbs to below 20g/day for the first six to eight months on Primal. I probably need to go back to that, but I'm happy where I am at the moment.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How many calories are you currently eating? If you want to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit regardless of what you're eating. I definitely may be wrong, but I don't think a serving size of nuts or fruit are the issue if you have a lot to lose. Watch your portions and track everything through fitday or the like. This way you can see if you're not overeating, you can overdo it on any program. I have lost 8 lbs being primal in 5 weeks (eat fruit, nuts and dairy in moderation), but I have to watch how many calories I am eating to lose weight. Try adding things like coconut oil, fatty fish, avocado, grass-fed meats, butter in small portions to your meals so you're satisfied and eat less.