Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Peas Primal? A Legume? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Are Peas Primal? A Legume?

Shop Now
    I received the Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals on Monday. It is simply AWESOME. I brought it into work on Tuesday (I recommend you do this!) and all my co-workers were all over it.

But, two of the recipes include peas. What are YOUR thoughts on peas? I believe they are probably fine once in a while. But I am just still curious as to why Mark included them... any ideas?

P.S. Buy the Cookbook NOW if you have not already.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Fresh green peas fall into the same kind of area as green beans. Personally, I think they're immature enough that it's possible to eat them raw. In fact, I've gone ahead and eaten fresh peas off the plant, both snow peas and English peas. Yes, they are starchy, and yes, they are technically a legume, but a young pea should have a much lower concentration of lectins and anti-nutrients than a mature pea.

To me, anything that I can pluck off the plant and eat while still in the garden with my bare toes digging into the Earth is primal. But that's just me.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Eating a bag full of sugar snap peas right now. They are more pod than pea (according to Whole30) and are a great snack. Very filling with lots of fiber.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    Fresh green peas fall into the same kind of area as green beans... To me, anything that I can pluck off the plant and eat while still in the garden with my bare toes digging into the Earth is primal. But that's just me.
    +1 I follow that rule also. I just love peas (& green beans!). I made butter chicken the other night & added peas (& other veggies). I don't eat them every day...
    and I love pickling green beans. Dilly beans as a snack or added to my BAS yum

yes toad, the cookbook is awesome! I sent one to my brother & mine is still in the office as my coworkers are stilll looking at it
    Last edited by Peggy; 03-30-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    Eating a bag full of sugar snap peas right now. They are more pod than pea (according to Whole30) and are a great snack. Very filling with lots of fiber.
    I love pea pods. I will pass up brownies and chips and dip without a second glance at receptions in my department if they got the veggie platter that has pea pods on it!

dakini is offline Senior Member
    I eat peas and green beans, just not every day. In the summer I'll get fresh peas and shell them, and my daughter eats them as a snack (and to think, I have people that say that I'm a mean Mom when I say my daughter will have garden fresh peas as a bed time snack :headdesk

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I love peas and green beans. I don't care what the possibility that they may be slightly unhealthy. They are too delicious smothered in butter.

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    I admit to snitching into peas every now and again. Now that I think about it, I have not had green beans in forever. Maybe I need to smother some in butter, and spoil myself.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I love me some peas, but haven't had any since going primal. So the general consensus is they are okay?

DJinNC is offline Member
    so happy to hear this! I was really missing my little green peas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast