Thread: My first day Primal page

PeaceMachineGun is offline Junior Member

Smile My first day Primal

So, I've been a lurker/reader for awhile and finally decided I wanted to give this lifestyle a go. It's brilliant simplicity has been gnawing at me for some time, as well as an unwanted 30lbs. So, today was my first day Primal. Here is a fitday food log for it. I'd love your comments, suggestions, etc.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLo...ate=1301356800.

Also, some things to consider when taking in the food log(pun intended ). I'm 6'1", 210lbs, 26 year old male. I work at the largest single story hospital in the nation in transportation, so I'm walking a total of 10-15 miles in an 8 hour shift and therefore my total caloric expenditure was 3315, putting me at an deficit of roughly 400 cals. While I'm definitely NOT going to obsess over this in the coming months, it's nice to see, but I'm sure being in the deficit with insulin production modulated equals even greater rewards. Peace!
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Also, carb cravings were not terribly bad, used two, 500mg capsules throughout the day to hamper them. No real brain fog or anything. I've come off Klonopin and SSRI's before so it seemed like making the switch to a more genetically pleasing diet would be cake, at least psychologically, and so far, so good!
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Awesome. Stay clear of nurses. They are obsessed with grains! Pah.

500mg of what? Glucose?

edit: for some reason I can't read your food log. Hrm.
    Last edited by Stabby; 03-30-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    What are the 2x500mg capsules of? What are you talking about? Im not sure taking something to avoid carb flu is very Primal or if you can avoid it at all by taking something. I wouldnt even do that...

As for the carb flu...if you are going to get it...there isnt anything you can do about it. It worse in some and better in others.
    Your body is just converting to running on ketones instead of glucose for your primary metabolic needs. This takes time...3 days for some and if you are unfortunate like me (and possibly highly insulin resistant as well), a month. So, nothing to do but avoid carbs and wait to see how you feel.

As for the diet itself....its fantastic. Never felt better in my life. I've dropped an avg of 8.6 lbs per month (26 total) from my start date of 1-04-11 and maintained all of my muscle mass prior to living a ketogenic lifestyle.

And one last thing...with all the walking you do...its going to be interesting to see how your body responds to the ketogenic diet. Walking 10-15 miles a day for ? days/week is alot of cardio/low impact exercise. Hopefully, this isnt to much of a stressor on your body (i.e. cortisol!).

good luck...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Hahaha, it's the brain fog I claimed I didn't have!!! 500mg of Glutamine, under the tongue. No amino supplementation(or any?) is "primal" per se but I don't see how doing this could possibly hurt, let me know though.

PeaceMachineGun - free online diet and fitness journal

Here's the food log again, made the account public.

As for the nurses, yeah, I don't really talk nutrition/diet/health with most of them, actually they don't seem to care, they're too stressed, and busy sucking down their 44oz. sodas from the cafeteria. Some of them though, yummy, they are HOT.

Anyway, Nacho, you've brought up a point I'm VERY INTERESTED in, and was actually planning on bringing up after I got some replies. And, that point being, how will going Primal fit in with walking 10-15 miles a day, 4 days a week? I don't know, it will be interesting, especially considering I've had adrenal/cort/DHEA issues in the past.

-George Carlin

Cal
    Cal is offline Junior Member
    My advice: You have two new best friends, they are named bacon and eggs.

(Throw some spinach in with the eggs, they provide bulk and make the meal more satisfying, IMO)

I LOVE BACON. Always have and always will. Eggs, well, I think I overdid for awhile and was starting to get mildly allergic to them. I've backed off completely over the past few months and eating 2 or 3 every few days doesn't seem to be a problem now.

-George Carlin

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like fat loss is your goal, so I'd cut back on the carbs by 50 gm. Look at the count in the nuts and fruit.
    Maybe just cut out the cashews?

Good to see you here

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was noticing that, didn't realize nuts had that many carbs in them. Although, if I just cut out the fruit, the carbs come down to about 105gm.

-George Carlin