Thread: Walnuts & your digestion (not for the squeamish) page

AHP
    AHP is offline Junior Member

Walnuts & your digestion (not for the squeamish)

Shop Now
    Ok, sorry to be graphic, but after trying to some recipes that call for a lot of walnuts / pecans, I'm getting diarrhea. I don't feel sick or have any gastrointestinal issues, just really loose bowel movements. Due to the high fibre of the nuts? Anyone else have this issue? recommendations? I would like to not have to cut out walnuts...

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, I would suggest cutting out walnuts as a regular part of your diet. It might be that you're just eating too many of them. Do you prepare them to make them more digestible? Nuts contain enzyme inhibitors that can impair digestion. I have digestive issues with nuts, though they mostly make me feel clogged up and bloated. I don't eat nuts often, and I save them either for treats or for times when I know I'm going to need some portable, non-perishable, quick energy.

That said, if you're eating a really large amount of nuts, like several ounces per day, you might be able to just cut that back to a more reasonable consumption, like an ounce or maybe two, and see if that helps your digestive issues.

Longquan is offline Member
    I cut out all nuts, can't digest them at all, even dried coconut flakes...

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried soaking them?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Definitely soak or sprout them. A lot of people forget that nuts are forms of seeds, just as grains are. In order for them to be nutritious, they must be properly prepared first.

Longquan is offline Member
    Neither soaking nor digestive enzymes changed anything for me. The only nuts I really like are cashews (I know, not real nuts ) so I don't care too much

AHP
    AHP is offline Junior Member
    -funny, then, that walnuts should feature so prominently in many paleo recipes. I mean, legumes -which I have never had a problem with- are totally forbidden while walnuts are perfectly acceptable, when walnuts are giving me diarrhea and apparently "must be properly prepared first"! I need some help in this complex world of nutrition...