Thread: Dry Hands... page

buster2209 is offline Junior Member

Dry Hands...

Primal Fuel
    I've been going primal for about 3 months now and feel heaps better!

I've lost a couple of inches around my waist and have lots more energy than what I used too.

The thing is, I've noticed my hands have become dry.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what have you done to combat this?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Dry skin can indicate a vitamin or mineral deficiency. This sort of thing is common with a change in diet
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I find that my skin gets dry if I'm not eating enough fat. I'm convinced this is why so many women are such lotion addicts -- I only use any kind of hand creme when it's the dead of winter with super-dry air, or when I've been doing stuff that's particularly rough on my hands (like washing a lot of dishes after a party or handwashing a big bunch of clothing). I have a beeswax balm that I use for an all-purpose protector -- lip balm, hand balm, nail balm, and even on the tips of my hair in dry weather. It's grated beeswax and sweet almond oil melted together and stirred as it cools in a jar. You can also add coconut oil if you want.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Yes!

I initially had very dry, scaly skin on my arms, legs, and hands. Now the arms and legs are better, but the hands are still very dry. They are improving though. Give it a bit more time to see, and use a very moisturizing lotion. The best relief I got was from pure lanolin.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Often a sign of not drinking enough water, and cold dry weather. Rub them with olive or coconut oil before bed and as often during the day as you can.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Just a note for those inclined to become chapstick or lotion junkies: If your body gets used to external lotion or protectants, it will cut back on its natural oils, leading to more dependence on the lotion or chapstick. It's not a bad idea to keep it around for when it's needed, but be careful not to become dependent on it.
    J.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I drink a ton of water and I still get dry skin over the winter. What I use to combat it is bag balm and coconut oil. I bag balmed my hands last night and they are really soft this morning.

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is my skins first love. My natural doc told me Vit A deficiency is what causes most skin ailments for most. Of course water, and good sleep are very important as well. Vit A is clearing my skin up, and my dry patches are much smoother. Maybe worth a shot? =)

buster2209 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the replies.

I take vitamin supplements, just switched to lard instead of olive oil and drink plenty of water.

Anyway, the dry skin cleared up. I think I washed my hands too many times in one day (I was doing a particularly dirty job) and I used the crap they have in the bathrooms at work. I think a combination of that and a dry day is what caused it.

Needless to say,my hands are back to normal now.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Just a note for those inclined to become chapstick or lotion junkies: If your body gets used to external lotion or protectants, it will cut back on its natural oils, leading to more dependence on the lotion or chapstick. It's not a bad idea to keep it around for when it's needed, but be careful not to become dependent on it.
    J.
    Afaik this is a myth. I remember reading about it on acne.org, but applying oil to the face didn't change the sebum (oil) production of the skin. This was on the face, it COULD be different on other bodyparts, but I doubt it.