Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do the carb cravings/tiredness usually last? page

robbie1512 is offline Member

How long do the carb cravings/tiredness usually last?

Hi I am into my 3rd week of eating at around 50g-100g carbs a day and very little processed food, but I am really craving all of the old haunts (especially pasta). I read in PB that this should go away but I thought I would have been over it by now... I have also had to start going to bed earlier because I am so tired, but I keep waking up tired and I even had to crawl back into bed for 15mins yesterday and today. Any help on how I can beat the cravings and improve my sleep would be great caus it is taking it's toll on my workouts!

chuckarie is offline Member
    maybe you are working out too hard.

Possibly but only since I changed my diet have I really been affected. I am doing stronglifts/starting strength 2-3 times a week, slow walking, swimming or jogging 2 times a week and crossfit style metcons once a week (when I have only done 2 days of weights). So really only about 3-4 hours a week strenuous activity and maybe 3 hours light activity.

AHP
    AHP is offline Junior Member
    Sorry to hear that, my experience has been quite the opposite- I went modified paleo (lots of dairy and occasional legumes) and my energy levels actually seem to have increased. But, I was already "low-carb" before going paleo. Might sound like a silly answer, but have you tried simply eating more? Because I'm actually trying to gain weight (hypertrophy), I eat a lot (but paleo). With cutting out grains and white potatoes I was really worried about being tired hungry and cranky, but it hasn't happened, if anything, just the opposite!

I am eating every 3 hours and eating until I'm full. I am actually disappointed because even though my arms, chest, back and upper abs are starting to become more defined and hard, my lower stomach, love handles and calves seem to have gained fat, I'm starting to feel like a kangaroo... I have tried eating less, eating more, exercising less, exercising more, but I have pretty much recieved the same results. Even though I would call myself a focused person, I would be lying if I said I wasn't starting to become turned off by my lack of progress.

AHP
    AHP is offline Junior Member
    I hear you, it seems almost impossible for me to provoke hypertrophy. I've tried a lot of different things and haven't made much progress, in fact I wonder how different I would look if I had just done nothing. So, know you're not the only one who's not seeing dramatic results! In the last year of paying quite close attention to my training and nutrition, for all intents and purposes I have not made any progress.

Yes it sucks! I am training for increased strength and athleticism over hypertrophy so that I can get more involved in sports, but I still want to see some muscle gains. So it is definitely disheartening as my strength has doubled, yet my upper body is slimmer and skinnier than ever and I am storing fat on my lower body. My bf is around 15% but it seems like most of that is my lower gut and legs. My wrists have gotten smaller and are now 6.7 inches while my ankles are bigger at 9.6 inches. Im thinking I may just go really strict with my diet for the next 2 weeks and see if I am able to get into ketosis while still maintaining my muscle mass and increasing my strength. I am not entirely sure on how though as I don't know how many carbs are in fruit and vegetables and how much meat i will need to eat to get the required protein.

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I've had similar experiences. My previous diet consisted of A LOT of carbs. My mom had been diagnosed on some cholesterol heightened genetic fairytale (me and my sisters were tested for it as well, couple years ago but I didn't 'had it') and she's been buying us 'healthy' food her entire life (extremely low fat, low proteine, high carb foods). (Then my sister started to suffer from a condition called 'gluten-intolerance'. Wonder where that came from...)

My body had to adjust to start fueling on primal foods and carb cravings were insane. I've gradually started eating more primal and dropping grains since December last year. I'm getting a whole lot better now. My energy levels are more stable and less spikey. I still have some grains in my diet in the morning when I eat organic muesli (it's clear of the usual fructose corn cyrup layers and other bullshit, but it's still grains) with berries and fresh orange/kiwi/pinaepple/pear/apple/banana/mango/coconut juice. You might want to create deliberate transition periods. I started with altering my lunch. Then dinner. Then getting rid of all the inbetween snacks that contained grains and replacing them with nuts/seeds/fruits/dark chocolate.
    I'm still wondering if I should change my breakfast, since I like it so much. Anyone got a good alternative?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Here is a thread I started a little while ago to compile some folks experiences when starting out..
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post381848
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Edje Noh View Post
    I still have some grains in my diet in the morning when I eat organic muesli (it's clear of the usual fructose corn cyrup layers and other bullshit, but it's still grains) with berries and fresh orange/kiwi/pinaepple/pear/apple/banana/mango/coconut juice. You might want to create deliberate transition periods. I started with altering my lunch. Then dinner. Then getting rid of all the inbetween snacks that contained grains and replacing them with nuts/seeds/fruits/dark chocolate.
    I'm still wondering if I should change my breakfast, since I like it so much. Anyone got a good alternative?
    Eggs? Bacon? or anything else that is not grains? Breakfast does not have to necessarily be breakfast food.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast