Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craving CHOCOLATE non-stop page

RobyRey is offline Member

Craving CHOCOLATE non-stop

Primal Fuel
    This is my second serious (read, longer than 8 hours) attempt at being primal. The first attempt lasted three months and I dropped 3-4 sizes. I fell off the wagon so-to-speak because I got bored with recipes and couldn't find/afford all grassfed/organic.

Re the second attempt, I'm on day 4 and I have been craving chocolate non-stop for a day and a half I was definitely a carb-addict pre-primal and have some issues with depression and emotional eating. Also, I HATE dark chocolate, the creamier the chocolate the better.

Any tips/advice? Up my fat intake? Know of any primal chocolate substitutes?

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    Lindt 70% is m favorite (and cheap) brand right now. I never used to be a dark chocolate person but now I can't get enough of 70% stuff. I say give it time and your taste buds will adjust. I recommend coconut oil if you can get it to satisfy cravings. Peanut butter also works (alot of people here dislike peanut products, but I think it is good every now and then and especially for transitioning. Also look into whole fat, plain yogurt. It has fat, some sugar, and protein along with probiotics!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You may be deficient in magnesium (most of us are.) Chocolate is high in magnesium.

Try 200-600 mg of magnesium citrate and hour before bed (it's a relaxant & will help your sleep, too.) Take as much as your body will tolerate. Too much will give you loose stools.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, if you don't like dark chocolate, you're probably craving fat and sugar more than actual chocolate. I would say indulge the fat side of the craving (try cream, coconut products, or butter) and go cold-turkey on the sugar for a week. After a week or two, you might find that dark chocolate is more appealing, and you can try that as an occasional treat.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    When I have a chocolate craving, and fortunately that happens very seldom nowadays, I put 1 T. butter and 1 T. coconut oil in a bowl, nuke for 10 seconds to soften, add a tsp. of dark cocoa powder and a tsp. of crystal erithritol, with a tsp. of vanilla, stir it all up and enjoy. Maybe 4 grams of carbs and a whole lot of healthy fat. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Connor- I have been eating whole fat organic vanilla yogurt with apple and cinnamon and that helps a bit. I have been using a lot of coconut milk in cooking but haven't bought oil. I am actually not a coconut loving- hate the texture of raw, and the taste makes me think I'm eating suntan lotion lol. I'm surprised I like the flavor of the milk (I made the marinated/grilled kale from MDA).
    Re peanut butter, I'd like to try to avoid it, but if I really need something I'll try it, or maybe almond butter.
    I would like to enjoy dark chocolate, hopefully one day.

DragonFly- excellent point re the magnesium, I will have to buy some. I was soaking in Epsom salts too but I ran out, will have to buy more.

Malantha- I was thinking the same thing! I'll try to up my fat intake. I also find when I'm hungry I crave carbs, I guess because my body is still depending on carbs for energy?

Sharonll- sounds yummy! I'll have to try it

Last edited by RobyRey; 03-29-2011 at 07:41 PM.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Try the Lindt 70% it is so creamy.

Also, make this:

1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    2 tbsp honey/maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
    chopped toasted nuts (I love hazelnut, can we say NUTELLA!!!)

Mix up the coconut oil and cocoa powder until smooth and add the sweetener and vanilla. Fold in the nuts, and scrape into a dish. Level it and chill until firm. Cut and enjoy primal fudge. Good for fat intake and wicked chocolate cravings. Just don't eat the whole pan... or you'll regret it. lol
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Ooohhh I LOVED Nutella pre-primal. We have a family recipe for crepes, and crepes and Nutella were my go to breakfast on weekends (horrible I know)

That sounds SO yummy!! I am a little worried about the carb content in the honey, though I prefer to use it over other sugar sources because it's natural. I'm trying to shed some inches/dress sizes and tone up before bathing suit season (ugh)

Edited to add: 70% Lindt is creamy??!! I don't believe it

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Try the Lindt 70% it is so creamy.

Also, make this:

1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup cocoa powder

Mix up the coconut oil and cocoa powder until smooth and add the sweetener and vanilla. Fold in the nuts, and scrape into a dish. Level it and chill until firm. Cut and enjoy primal fudge. Good for fat intake and wicked chocolate cravings. Just don't eat the whole pan... or you'll regret it. lol
    Mmmmmmmm that sounds heavenly!!!
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post

Also, make this:

1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup cocoa powder

I've been doing this - I microwave the coconut oil for a bit since it's still a little solid and mix it with the cocoa powder, some almond flour and liquid stevia. Then I spread a spoonful of nut butter (almond, walnut, or macadamia nut) mixed with a little bit of melted butter along the bottom of a small bowl before pouring the "fudge" mixture on top of it. I stick it in the freezer for an hour or so and have one heck of a dessert similar to a peanut butter cup. It's even better with chopped walnuts in the fudge layer, but I wiped those out long ago and won't let myself get a new supply for a while.

YUM!!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast