Thread: Started Paleo in Bankok--any tips? page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Started Paleo in Bankok--any tips?

Shop Now
    Hey there everyone,
    my little brother decided whilst backpacking in Bangkok to go give up grains, legumes, sugar, dairy--the works. I'm so proud!!!!
    He's on day 6, minor carb flu but I believe he's hitting the mangoes a bit hard
    Sounds like there is lots of chicken and pork but they are not raised on good grub, and the beef and fish are limited. Lots of coconut though:-)
    Does anyone have any experience traveling in that part of the world? Any tips on what to eat? He's unable to cook for himself unfortunately. Is there canned fish that would be safe? Hmmmmm
    Thanks guys!
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

peril is offline Senior Member
    I have eaten a lot of seafood in Bangkok. It is safe and very tasty. Why does he think its not readily available? Also, I've not had any problem getting beef in that part of the world. I also suspect the animals are raised in a much more natural way than in USA

Thai curries are very primal. Avoid a lot of deep fried food as it is usually dusted in flour. Steamed and stirfried food is very good too
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Paleo in Bangkok--any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I have eaten a lot of seafood in Bangkok. It is safe and very tasty. Why does he think its not readily available? Also, I've not had any problem getting beef in that part of the world. I also suspect the animals are raised in a much more natural way than in USA

Thai curries are very primal. Avoid a lot of deep fried food as it is usually dusted in flour. Steamed and stirfried food is very good too
    Hey thanks! I sent what you said to him and this is what he sent back:

"Yeah this is good. the direction I was going in. Plenty of fish to be had. and as for the beef I was wondering too but you see a sick looking cow skinny cow here and there I don't know if there's some monster cattle farm somewhere I don't know about. Also I was thinking coconut oil is very cheap. could supplement with that?"

I'm assuming the coconut oil and beef quality are fine right? And if there is any question about the origins of the beef he should just trim the fat? Thanks again!
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

And sorry about leaving the "g" off in the heading but I can't seem to edit it in!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've traveled through Thailand and Cambodia- their cows look kinda sickly compared to American cows, but they don't really "feed" their cows like we do to keep them fat. The cows are simply allowed to wander and graze as they see fit, which gets them a natural diet of whatever they feel like eating. It's the original form of "pasture-fed" and I had no issues with the beef over there at all. That's more the way they treat their animals over there, I think. In Taiwan I noticed that dark meat chicken was significantly more expensive than white, which is the opposite of the US. People over there know that the fatty parts are good for you.

Be very careful about uncooked veggies or fruit where you eat the peel, however.

Personally, I'd find it very difficult to be in Asia and not eat rice or noodles at all. Every meal choice seemed to start with "rice or noodles?" and I still lost 40 lbs in about 6 months or so. Portion sizes are appropriate, everything is freshly made by the restaurant, often bought at the market that morning. No preservatives, no HFCS, minimal wheat, ... Add on all the walking I did, and your brother shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Peter_48 is offline Junior Member
    Bangkok ... Does anyone have any experience traveling in that part of the world?

Yes, 8 years living full-time in Thailand.
    Writing from Bangkok at this moment.

8 weeks on Primal.
    Still learning, but the initial struggle is over (I think).

Any tips on what to eat?

No cooking facilities, eh?
    Okay, here goes:
    • Grilled fish available everywhere. Stuffed with green herbs. Rubbed with salt. US$ 1.00/small fish = one serving.
    • Grilled, fresh, mackerel available at many, many, Japanese restaurants -- found in every shopping mall in Bangkok.
    • Stir fried, fresh, vegetables easily available. Be sure to specify no sugar. US$ 1.00 per plate.
    • BBQ pork and BBQ chicken on a stick easy to find in all neighborhoods. US 30 cents per stick.
    • Fresh fruit is everywhere. US 30-50 cents per serving.
    • Coconut oil not used in restaurants because it costs much more than processed vegetable oils, but easy to buy in any market and most pharmacies also sell virgin coconut oil.
    • Olive oil sold at every international grocery store -- many varieties.
    • Plenty of canned tuna, mackerel, sardines. Also imported, canned salmon, kippers, and herring available in international grocery stores.
    • Every international grocery store sells butter, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, and a respectable variety of imported cheeses.
    • Bangkok and other large cities in Thailand have many international restaurants. Easy to find a chef's salad (ham, turkey, cheese) and/or a grilled chicken Ceasar salad.
    • Also possible to find restaurants serving imported steaks (US grass-fed, Australia, Argentina), and lamb (Australia, New Zealand).
    • Sizzler Steak House is a common restaurant chain in the larger cities here. Plenty of steaks plus a large salad bar.

Any other questions, you're welcome to ask.

-- Peter
    Bangkok
    Peter4@allmail.NET (be sure to use "NET" in the email address)
    Last edited by Peter_48; 09-26-2012 at 07:34 AM.