Thread: Counting the Cost of Health Changes page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Counting the Cost of Health Changes

Primal Fuel
    I recently wrote an article on the impact of small changes on long term health and wealth.

Counting the Cost of Health Changes

Whilst walking back from a coaching appointment earlier today I reflected on how small changes really can make a big difference in the long term. Can something as simple as my walk to work make a real difference? I think it can. And, in this article, I'd like to talk about two of my favourite things - exercise and investing. And how, given enough time, one small change can quite literally change your life.

Firstly, let me just say that I don't typically agree with calorie counting but I'll be using some conventional wisdom examples here to illustrate some points. I'll also be making some assumptions about the stock market, but again, please don't be put off!

I find myself walking most places - to visit clients, to do my shopping and to head to meetings. This is a personal choice and I love walking so it isn't a huge hardship for me. I got to thinking, however, that there would be (and there are) plenty of people who would drive or take the bus or train for these same journeys. On average, I walk around 6 miles per day but what would happen if I didn't do this and I took the car or bus?

Read the full article here:

Sandbag Fitness: Counting the Cost of Health Changes

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I like this and the blog.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I like this and the blog.
    Thanks john!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    There's sooooo much more to it than just those examples too. People love to see things in black and white numbers but it's a lot more complicated than that. If you drive, you have increased stress from driving, traffic, operating at speeds above normal for human beings, sitting in an unnatural position. When you walk, you DE-stress, you breathe better, your natural systems perform optimally. When you take the bus you increase your exposure to other people's germs, stress, smells; when you walk you empower your immune system and breathe fresh clean air. (I love the bus, but that is a possible cost.) When you drive, you pay for the car, financing the car, maintaining and repairing the car, insuring the car, and fueling the car. I think the average is something like $8000/year, or about $22/day. When you take transit, you pay for that: average public transit day pass is probably $7/day. When you walk, you pay nothing. Maybe you buy shoes slightly more often than you would otherwise, but that's a pretty big maybe, especially if you work out to make up for not walking, then you have to buy shoes for that. Worst case you pay maybe $100/year for new shoes, or pennies per day.
    Not to mention all the money you save on medical co-pays, prescriptions, vaccines, etc etc over your lifetime because you're so darn HEALTHY.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    i really liked that coach. It's a good way of showing people the rewards of activity, rather than just telling them they could be healthy and/or in shape. Especially the money part, that would hit home with a lot of people.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nice article Coach. I like the approach. So much of the CW pushes the "high cost" of eating healthy, it was nice to see an article written from the stance of the health and money savings of being active in a small facet of life. Keep on walking.