Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can one splurge a week undo an entire week of effort? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Can one splurge a week undo an entire week of effort?

I am speaking directly to those with more than 50+ lbs to lose. I know Primal is about health and not weight loss, but my first step to living a life of health is dropping the weight.

So for the past year I've been regaining and losing the same 30 lbs. The problem has been that I cannot give up my Friday-Saturday junk food. Sunday-Thursday I eat 100% and get my primal fitness in, and then Friday-Saturday I cannot resist the carb monster and eat pizza, burgers, etc etc. Come Sunday I'm back up to where I was before.

How can I bust through these weekends and not give in? Do I need to count calories?

geostump is online now Senior Member
    A friend of mine that is personal trainer/dietician and is PB says yes, even one cheat meal can wreck a weeks worth of good eating, Eating like you have goes beyond the 20% mark. Time to make new habits. Have you tried the cauliflower crust pizza or even meatza? Use Rivvin's angry bread for your burger etc. If you can't resist the carb monster then if you have issues with insulin, you will never get off the sugars.
    Georgette

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    I have 40lbs to go and have been at this a couple of weeks and my answer based on my limited experience is YES!

I had dropped 5.2lbs and had one day where I ate non-primal things (not incredibly large amounts either). I was back up 2.5lbs in a single day. 3 days later I am finally below where I was before my day of poor choices.
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    If you can't resist the carb monster then if you have issues with insulin, you will never get off the sugars.
    So you're saying there is no hope? If I can't resist then I probably have some of insulin problem and I'm screwed?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    If you're in ketosis to lose weight then, sure, one bad meal can knock you right out of it.

Just continue to find ways to avoid the wrong kinds of food. No one's forcing you to put sugar and bread inside your face. Yes, it's hard. Ain't gonna lie. It takes self control...but you can do it.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Not saying you have an insulin problem. What I'm saying is that you are still sugar addicted if you crave the stuff that you eat on the weekends. You need to break yourself off them. How low carb do you eat on the other days? You need to keep yourself on that same momentum 7 days a week for about a month to help break yourself of this. Have you experienced low carb flu if you are doing low carb? If you're eating SAD on the weekends, you would still be considered SAD on diet. The 20% is supposed to be things BEYOND your control. YOU CAN control this.
    Georgette

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    see for yourself. try not having those cheat days and watch what happens. stay primal for two solid weeks or, better yet, do a 30 day challenge.

from my experience, you're not going to lose much weight or much fat from splurging on the weekends. before i decided to go fully primal i was allowing myself the weekends to play around with food a little bit. once i stopped that and realized that i liked primal eating better anyway, i dropped pounds and size fast.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    In addition to the carb/insulin thing, if you are having any metabolic derangement due to a negative reaction to grains, especially gluten grains, once a week is definitely enough to keep your body inflamed. Besides, you seem to realize yourself that this isn't working for you. You don't really need us to tell you that. What concerns me is that you seem to feel like this is out of your control. You can beat it! There are lots of people here who are conquering their emotional eating issues. They can give you better advice than I can. Personally, I think it would help for you to make sure you don't feel deprived during the week and to treat yourself with primal foods like Geostump says. Once you get that dialed in, then you can start to think about tuning your diet for weight loss.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post
    The problem has been that I cannot give up my Friday-Saturday junk food.
    If folks can kick genuine addictions like smoking, I'm sure you can give up junk food if you choose to.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another method is just eating that much less during the week. Maybe even fast a few days in order to binge on the weekend. If you take the week as a whole, then you must have a deficit at the end of the week. How you do it does not really matter. If you are eating 1500-2000 calories more on Friday and Saturday, which would be 3000-4000, then you need to have that much of a deficit during the other 5 days. Therefore, a reduction of an average of 800 calories per day would be necessary. And yes, that will be difficult depending upon your caloric needs.

This link provides a great method: Proven, Never-Fails, Step-By-Step Method For Blistering Fat Loss

It basically shows you how to do what I explained above. Eat less during the week so you can eat more on the weekend. Plan ahead and it works.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast