View Poll Results: Avocado = Fat, Carb, or both?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's fat, obviously!

46 54.12%
  • Carb all the way!

0 0%
  • I tend to think of it as both.

39 45.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about avocado page

Ransom is offline Senior Member

Quick question about avocado

In the past few days I've seen them referred to in a couple of places as a carb (Robb Wolf's Food Matrix, for example). Now, I know they have carbs in them and depending on how much we're talking about it could be a rather significant amount. However, I always thought of them as a fat source. Am I wrong on that? I usually do factor in the carb level if I'm watching my intake as I know a small to medium one is between 9 and 15 grams so I just lower my carbs from other sources for that meal. Either way though - avocado - fat? carb? both? Just curios on everyone's thoughts - which is why I created a poll! Just for kicks.
    Last edited by Ransom; 03-29-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Strength and Honor

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Technically, all fruits and vegetables are carbs. They're just a carb that happens to be high in fat. Semantics.

Here's some nutrition facts about avocados:

Avocado Nutrition Facts – Superfoods! Avocado Nutrition Facts

Sure, they're relatively high in carbs, but it's practically all fiber.

This is what I love:

Glycemic Index GI Avocado
    Glycemic Index & Avocados | LIVESTRONG.COM

Fruits in general rank low on the glycemic index. There are some exceptions; the watermelon is the highest common fruit with a high-GI rank of 80. Avocados are classified as a fruit although they are often thought of as a vegetable, as typically they are eaten with savory meals. The GI is relevant only for carbohydrate foods, and as avocados have a very low-carb content, they are assigned a zero on the glycemic index.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Avocado, sprinkle some salt and forget about fat/carbs/your significant other/hygiene/lybia/radiation/vegans

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Avocado, sprinkle some salt and forget about fat/carbs/your significant other/hygiene/lybia/radiation/vegans
    Garlic salt! Yummmmmmmm!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i tend to see them as delicious.

that said, if i've had more carbs than usual one day, i won't toss one into my salad because they are 14g for a regular sized one...but that also has something to do with them costing $1.99

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i tend to see them as delicious.
    +1. I try not to think in terms of macronutrients, but in terms of real, whole, evolutionarily-appropriate foods. But I don't have any weight to lose and am fairly active so I don't have to count carbs.

I see avocados as a treat, since they're a reasonably expensive indulgence for what I get from them. I'd rather spend $1.50 on a half pound of coconut flakes that I can turn into coconut butter than on a single avocado. Plus I don't need to watch the coconut to see when it ripens (my grocery store seems incapable of selling ripe avocados, so it always ends up in a bag with a banana).

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I see them as fat, today I used one as my salad dressing because my boss dumped out my home made salad dressing. I don't count carbs though, even though I have weight to lose counting carbs would drive me insane.
    My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    I'd rather spend $1.50 on a half pound of coconut flakes that I can turn into coconut butter than on a single avocado.
    how do you do this?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I love Avocados! I eat a whole Hass Avocado everyday with my BAS. It's the perfect snack (very high fat, and the carbs does not cause a spike in insulin)!

They are expensive though! Boy, are they expensive. Around here, conventional Hass Avocados will cost you anywhere from $2-2.50, and Dominican/Florida Large Avocados will cost you anywhere from $2.50-$3.00.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I'm lucky I can get a Hass avocado for .99 - 1.29 each but more often they are 1.49-1.69.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast