Thread: High blood glucose and pounding heart? page

aphillips22 is offline Junior Member

High blood glucose and pounding heart?

Primal Fuel
    So I was doing a little experiment on myself today trying to test how high I could get my blood glucose to go eating what up to now has been my "normal" diet. The truth is I'm still in a little bit of denial that I've "broken" my metabolism so badly that I need to change my ways as opposed to just wanting to lose some weight. Although intellectually I can't argue with the numbers. (Casual BGT-214 by the way. New high score!)

Anyway, Ive notice that after I eat CW foods that get my numbers up this high my heart pounds like a jackhammer and everything feels "tight". My hands, my skin, my breathing feels tight too. Any diabetics or metabolic syndrome folks ever get the same thing?

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any idea what my blood glucose level was/is (how do you measure that?) and to my knowledge I'm not diabetic but I used to get the jackhammer heart thing when I first went to bed. It puzzled me because it was something I'd expect when exerting myself, not relaxing.

Sorry if that's a bit off-topic but your post made me realize it hasn't happened since I Primalized. Coincidence? I think not.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I don't have any idea what my blood glucose level was/is (how do you measure that?) and to my knowledge I'm not diabetic but I used to get the jackhammer heart thing when I first went to bed. It puzzled me because it was something I'd expect when exerting myself, not relaxing.

Sorry if that's a bit off-topic but your post made me realize it hasn't happened since I Primalized. Coincidence? I think not.
    i get that some times....its so random though... usually i can pinpoint it to too much protein

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aphillips22 View Post
    Anyway, Ive notice that after I eat CW foods that get my numbers up this high my heart pounds like a jackhammer and everything feels "tight". My hands, my skin, my breathing feels tight too. Any diabetics or metabolic syndrome folks ever get the same thing?
    I've noticed the same thing! Well, without tracking the glucose. At first I thought "Oh my god, I'm having a heart attack! I knew it! All of this animal fat and protein is terrible for you!" Then I noticed that it happened both times that I gave in and gorged on sugar and never any other time. Sugar is a killer.
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

aphillips22 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I've never had it with too much protein. Spaghetti dinner? yeah. Spare ribs? not so much.

And as for the BGT, my family has a horrible history with NIDDM. So when I was feeling like crap one day (as usual) after dinner I decided to use Gran's meter and, yikes.

And yes, it feels scary.