Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly argument, need some answers page

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member

Silly argument, need some answers

Well, I was talking with a friend the other day. According to him, corn is a vegetable.

Can you all give me reasons why it is a grain and not a vegetable?

geostump is offline Senior Member

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    A Vegetable would have seeds..... Corn Kernel is the seed. Also if the Kernel is the seed then where is the Vegetable. That is because the Kernel is the seed of the grass called CORN.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    From wikipedia:
    The noun vegetable usually means an edible plant or part of a plant other than a sweet fruit or seed. This typically means the leaf, stem, or root of a plant
    "Other than a ... seed"; corn is a seed. That's actually a less-strict definition than others use, for me a vegetable is the leaf, stem, or flower of a plant; anything else might be a tuber, root, fruit, seed, etc.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    From a practical standpoint, it also has a carb load more in line with grains than with leafy or cruciferous veggies. So regardless of what course you serve it as, the effect it has on your body is more like eating rice than eating spinach.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Botanically, a fruit is a seed receptacle, a grain is a seed, and a vegetable is other parts of the plant (leaves, stem, root, etc.). So peppers and tomatoes are, botanically, fruits (berries, actually), while celery and lettuce are definitely vegetables. Corn would then be a grain, since we primarily eat the seed part. Nutritionally-speaking, corn is a high-starch food, so it lumped with grains and potatoes, as far as its macronutrients go. Primally-speaking, corn contains chemicals that inhibit the absorption of vitamins and minerals and can cause deficiencies if eaten in large quantities without being properly prepared, and so is treated the same as any other mineral-impeding food, like other grains.

If your friend wants to consider green peas and corn to be a vegetable, that's his prerogative. If he needs to be right about this, just nod and smile and leave him to his convictions while you get healthy going primal.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Primally-speaking, corn contains chemicals that inhibit the absorption of vitamins and minerals and can cause deficiencies if eaten in large quantities without being properly prepared, and so is treated the same as any other mineral-impeding food, like other grains.

This has me a lot less psyched about my csa share this year. The corn was my favorite part.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Unless your staple is corn and comprises a large portion of your diet, a few cobs slathered in butter ain't gonna kill you.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    Well, I was talking with a friend the other day. According to him, corn is a vegetable.

Can you all give me reasons why it is a grain and not a vegetable?
    I think others covered the grain v vegetable thing. Now how can we convince you to find some smarter friends?

If your friend thinks that eggs are dairy, just run away.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast