Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding fat - simple ways that work for you. page

Kymma is offline Senior Member

Adding fat - simple ways that work for you.

Primal Fuel
    I am Kym and on Day 7 of the Whole 30. I was not primal prior to deciding to take this challenge on. I chose it to get rid of the sugar dragon and to regain control of my SAD eating issues. I am enjoying it very much so far. Lots of spinach tomatoes and meats, a little fruit and a some nuts. I think for week 3, I'll cut out nuts and fruits just to see the difference.

I like cooking with coconut oil, the taste is great. I am still cooking with olive oil, because that is what I am comfortable with. What other ways to eat fat? Fat is a new concept to me, so help and suggestions would be great.

Average day so far:

B: Egg muffin with veggies and maybe meat, fruit

L: Spinach salad with tomatoes, meat and either balsamic vinegar or oil and vinegar

S: handful of almonds or an apple with almond butter

D: Meat and roasted veggies

S: if I have a 2nd snack, berries with coconut milk, I've had a few larabars

MozartNH99 is offline Junior Member
    Go get a couple packs of uncured bacon (nitrate-free, etc.). Cook up the whole package, maybe eat some of it and save the rest, maybe eat ALL of it! Then, when you're done, get a coffee mug and pour the leftover bacon grease into the mug. Be sure to use the spatula to get every last molecule of that fat. Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge (I hear that you can just leave it out, but I feel more comfortable putting almost everything in the fridge if I'm not sure).

Then, the next time you sautee some veggies, or pan-fry a steak, get a big tablespoon and scoop out a sizeable dollop of that grease. Cook with it. Don't be afraid to add more if you need it. Delicious rendered animal fat.

The best part about this is that now you have an extra reason to cook and eat more bacon! "Oh damn, I'm all out of cooking fat. Better make some more."
    "I will stand for the truth I see, so that truth is seen in me."

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Don't be surprised if you hit the carb flu soon, tough it out and don't focus on how much you're eating, just that it's all primal food. You're not going to get rid of the sugar dragon until you cut sugars out too (fruit, balsamic, and lara bars), you can add them back in later, you just have to break the dependence first.

Also, what is your egg muffin? The word muffin scares me.

I don't see a ton of veggies, do you not like them other than spinich and tomatoes?

I cook all veggies in either butter, coconut oil, or left over bacon grease--wilted spinich in bacon grease is SO good. Do you like avocados? I like them in my omlet, they taste better to me when cooked--again in bacon grease. If you're really adventureous, look up Batty's butter balls--they really taste great AND knock out cravings!
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Go to Whole Foods, become friends with a butcher. Ask him if when he cuts the grass fed beef, if he could give the fat to you. (or the normal stuff if they don't have grass fed) Cook everything in it. That's how I do it.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Batty's Butter Balls are amazing and really help with fat intake. If you like coffee, put some coconut oil in that and drink. It's tasty stuff.
    Georgette

swalker is offline Member
    ... I eat a tsp of coconut oil instead of having snacks.

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Grokker View Post
    I cook all veggies in either butter, coconut oil, or left over bacon grease--wilted spinich in bacon grease is SO good. Do you like avocados? I like them in my omlet, they taste better to me when cooked--again in bacon grease. If you're really adventureous, look up Batty's butter balls--they really taste great AND knock out cravings!
    How do you cook your veggies? I steam a load every evening, for tea and breakfast/lunch the next day, just wondered whats the best/healthiest way to cook your veg.

Sorry to hi-jack thread!

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I cook a lot of my veggies in either bacon grease, EVOO or Avocado Oil. I also cut some Yams into the shape of fries and cook them in coconut oil. Afternoons I'll have a hand full of Macadamia nuts for my cycle ride home. Full cream in coffee.

I'm with RG, wonder what your egg muffin is...
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    I've discovered the joy of coconut cream, so every night this week, I've been making Chai Tea mixed with coconut cream. I've even mixed some of the cream with cinnamon and vanilla and eaten it straight. Apparaently I was missing this cream before because I was just punching whole in the lid instead of taking the lid off. Hello heaven!

You could also snack on olives, avocados, bacon (of course!) or add them to your lunch salad for an extra fat boost.

DirtyHippie is offline Junior Member
    I can't speak for the OP but for myself when I refer to an "egg muffin" it's scrambled eggs with meat and veggies baked in muffin tins.
    Nina... primal mother to 6 cavelings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast