1. Good Calories, Bad Calories
    2. Why we Get Fat
    3. The Primal Blueprint
    4. Omnivore's Dilemma
    5. New Evolution Diet
    6. The Paleo Solution
    7. The Paleo Diet
    8. Protein Power

I tried to pay attention to all of the supplement suggestions, but frankly, it became mind numbing. There was so much information, and all different to some degree. Some seemed to go on and on for pages and pages. It was crazy. I realize different people will have different requirements, but is there at least some simplified starting point? Something simple (maybe a particular Muilti) and no more than a few different pills? (along with a reasonable amount of each.)

I'm just looking for a base to build upon.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Currently I take a multivitamin (gelcap), fish oil, and probiotics. I buy them all at Puritan.com because they always have great deals. In general when it comes to vitamins, gels and capsules beat tablets. I also use liquid vit D in my morning coffee while the weather is still too cool to soak up any sun.

Artimus71 is offline Member
    So -
    1. Multivitamin
    2. Fish Oil
    3. Piobiotics
    4. Vitamin D

And particular amounts of each? (I'm assuming the multi is already measured out, though).

Oh geez. On Puritan.com, on the "Multivitamin" page, there are 64 options.....

Under "Fish Oils" there are 37 options.....

There goes "simple".

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus71 View Post
    So -
    1. Multivitamin
    2. Fish Oil
    3. Piobiotics
    4. Vitamin D

And particular amounts of each? (I'm assuming the multi is already measured out, though).
    That is what works for Diana Renata but you have to figure out what works for you.
    1. Multivitamin - that is just a one a day vitamin so there is a specific amount.
    2. Fish Oil - this depends on how bad or good your diet is. Fish oil is used to balance out your o36 ratios depending on how clean your diet is. Here is a link to Robb Wolf's fish oild calculator. Fish Oil Calculator | Whole9 | Paleo Nutrition, Paleo Diet Education, Paleo Nutrition Workshops, Nutrition for Health and Fitness Facilities, and the Original Whole30 Program
    3. Probiotics - This should be used if you have digestive/gut problems to restore normal flora. Even if you don't have any issues you may benefit from this although I think that getting it naturally from fermented foods is better.
    4. Vitamin D - This all depends if you have low immunity or if you live in an area that doesn't get adequate sunlight. During the winter months where it is dark and you are not outside with shorts and a t shirt on you will need more vitamin D. And vice versa in the summer.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

So Balance, You think just a Multi and Fish oil would be a good base to start?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think if your diet is consisting of a lot of whole fresh vegetables/fruits and grass fed meats that will give you the most bang for your buck. If you feel you are deficient in certain vitamins and minerals than try to find a good multivitamin that is preferably made from whole foods without artificial coloring and ingredients (stay away from vitamins like Centrum). I prefer eating fatty fish a few times a week over fish oil, but I keep a bottle of fish oil on hand just in case I eat out and the meat in conventionally raised.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I think if your diet is consisting of a lot of whole fresh vegetables/fruits and grass fed meats that will give you the most bang for your buck. If you feel you are deficient in certain vitamins and minerals than try to find a good multivitamin that is preferably made from whole foods without artificial coloring and ingredients (stay away from vitamins like Centrum). I prefer eating fatty fish a few times a week over fish oil, but I keep a bottle of fish oil on hand just in case I eat out and the meat in conventionally raised.
    Now we're talking simplistic.

Thanks!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    On the vitamin D/Winter subject - I'm outside a lot in the winter (walking with the dogs, plowing snow, just soaking up the awesomeness, etc.) but of course everything is covered but my face. Is that not enough to get adequate Vitamin D or does one need to bare more?

I wear tank tops when it's warm but almost never shorts. Could it be I'm not getting enough sunlight even in summer? I never bought into that 'sun gives you cancer' bullshit but I despise hot weather so I'm generally outside less in summer than winter. This thread is making me wonder if I'm D deficient?

Grok and Grol is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would definitely add magnesium glyconate to the list. KAL makes a good brand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast