Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Dairy, No Caffeine, No Grains - so what's up with this Sinus Infection? page

PrimalChat is offline Junior Member

No Dairy, No Caffeine, No Grains - so what's up with this Sinus Infection?

I'm in the midst of a pretty strong Paleo/Primal commitment - 18 days in. I've been getting back in to working out and I've weaned myself off of coffee so that I'm not tempted as usual to add heavy cream to my cup. I'm eating grass-fed beef, no grains, Omega-3 eggs - and because of all of this, I'm not adding Fish Oil to my supplements since I should be balanced or getting enough Omega 3 as is for any inflammation.

Despite all of this, I have had a sinus infection for the past 4 days.

When I went Paleo over a year ago, this was my saving grace in that it healed me of my chronic infections. Now this one has me stumped as to its cause.

Any ideas out there?
    Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    What's your sleep schedule like? Are you getting plenty of it? Also, how are your stress levels? These could be two important factors leading to a sinus infection even if you're eating well.

Great points. I'm a single dad, recently divorced with about as much stress as the next guy. So, yes, that could be a piece of it although I have done my best to minimize that stress in the past few months. Sleep is another touchy subject. I try to nap on the weekend, but weekdays it's usually 6.5 to 7 hours per night.

Thanks Paul
    Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Could it be seasonal allergies? I don't think 18 days of no inflammatory diet factors is enough to eliminate the allergic response to other things. Also, some people are sensitive to egg whites, and I find nuts leave me feeling clogged and stuffy.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    It is Spring...there are a lot of quick barometric pressure changes and humidity changes going on. It certainly could be playing a role.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalChat View Post
    Great points. I'm a single dad, recently divorced with about as much stress as the next guy. So, yes, that could be a piece of it although I have done my best to minimize that stress in the past few months. Sleep is another touchy subject. I try to nap on the weekend, but weekdays it's usually 6.5 to 7 hours per night.

Thanks Paul
    Ooooh, also could you have picked something up from your kids? If they're in school, there's always a sick kid at school, and even if your kids didn't catch it, they could be carriers and make dear, stressed dad sick.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Good job of eliminating dairy and coffee. Dairy is usually a large supporter of increased mucus in the body so by eliminating it we already know that it isn't the culprit. I'd increase your sleep by an hour. Are you getting enough vitamin D, magnesium, zinc? 4 days isn't that long and really a sinus infection isn't a big deal, I'd get the banana pudding out of there by doing a salt water flow if it's really bugging you otherwise no biggie.
    ad astra per aspera

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Good job of eliminating dairy and coffee. Dairy is usually a large supporter of increased mucus in the body so by eliminating it we already know that it isn't the culprit. I'd increase your sleep by an hour. Are you getting enough vitamin D, magnesium, zinc? 4 days isn't that long and really a sinus infection isn't a big deal, I'd get the banana pudding out of there by doing a salt water flow if it's really bugging you otherwise no biggie.
    Dairy does not increase mucus in the body. Does milk make mucus worse? - Health & Wellbeing

However, drinking extra fluids may help thin mucus out. I haven't had a sinus infection is awhile, but I used to take sudafed for them, which would help relieve the pressure a lot.
    Last edited by Lynna; 03-29-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Eating strict paleo/primal doesn't guarantee you'll never get sick, it just helps your immune system and overall health so it's less likely. I'm betting one of the kids brought something home from school and with the elevated stress level, you've picked up the infection. Also, are you prone to sinus infections? My doctor was explaining that for some people, the way their sinuses are structured makes them more prone to sinus infections, so even if you're taking really good care of your health, you can get them more easily than other people. Apparently the neti pot thing helps, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try one yet.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sleep, fluids, allergies, seasonal - those are all good starts. I think I must have gotten to the point where I believed I was bullet-proof upon going Paleo since I've been so healthy when my nutrition is dialled in. I also neglected to admit another possibility - spending a few hours in my cold garage as I put up a pull up bar in my ceiling. Hmmmm...that must have played its part as well.

Thanks to you all - keep any other ideas coming.

Jeff
    Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast