Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to drink coffee after a workout? page

Jenn is offline Senior Member

Is it bad to drink coffee after a workout?

I read something about drinking coffee after a workout raising cortisol. Ideally you should drink it before a workout but I workout at 5 am so this isn't really possible for me. Will drinking coffee after derail all my efforts? Thanks.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Stressing over what to drink after a workout likely raises cortisol more than the drink itself.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    There was actually a study quoted in Runner's World a couple years back that showed that caffeine seemed to increase recovery after a run. I don't know how that relates to other exercise, but I would guess that a cup of coffee is no biggie. Also, exercise itself slightly raises cortisol -- that's why we do it, as a controlled stress to the body. Cortisol qua cortisol isn't bad; what's bad is the constant, chronic release due to low-grade stress being a constant in our lives these days, rather than having large stretches of rest punctuated by the occasional predator from which to flee or tasty prey to chase.

Ok so maybe if I limit my caffeine to the morning it won't matter too much. Thanks

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Why even drink it, exercise does enough to wake me up. I mean, if it's for "pick me up" purposes that you drink the coffee.

I only have one cup a day to treat myself

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Purely anecdotal, but I find a cup of tea (green or black) after makes a difference for my recovery.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Drinking coffee will raise your cortisol levels. If you are trying to avoiding raising your cortisol levels do not drink coffee. If you don't care because you like coffee drink coffee.

Or you can have you cake and eat it to by drinking a naturally decaffinated brand of coffee thereby maintaining the ritual without the side effects of caffeine!
    ad astra per aspera

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Stressing over what to drink after a workout likely raises cortisol more than the drink itself.
    :-) - you get my vote for the most succinct answer on this forum!

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Drinking coffee will raise your cortisol levels. If you are trying to avoiding raising your cortisol levels do not drink coffee. If you don't care because you like coffee drink coffee.

Or you can have you cake and eat it to by drinking a naturally decaffinated brand of coffee thereby maintaining the ritual without the side effects of caffeine!
    Yeah, but all the crap the use to remove the caffein is certainly non-paleo....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast