Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first VAP and VitD test results.... page

MoBob is offline Member

My first VAP and VitD test results....

Primal Fuel
    Hey Y'all!

Been primal for almost a year and living the PB lifestyle well. I requested my first VAP and VitD test from my internist and need some feedback of the results. My doc said I have high cholesterol but didn't seem as concerned this time with these direct readings.

My previous indirect blood panel test was: Total 231, HDL 54, Tri 63, LDL 164

Can anyone dissect these results??

Thx,
    MoBob
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Well you are healthier than a lot of people. I wouldn't say you are in danger, but there is room for improvement. It would help to just go through all of your micronutrients. Your triglycerides could be lower. Are you balancing your polyunsaturated fats, getting enough potassium and magnesium (and others). High LDL with medium HDL and good but not great triglycerides is usually evidence of a copper deficiency.

So the main question is do you use something like fitday or chronometer, and what does your diet look like? There are the lifestyle factors too but I'll just trust that everything is well.

Vitamin d is ideal according to most people, keep it up.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Ok I am not expert, but I saw it says your LDL pattern is pattern A. Am I right that pattern A LDL is the "good" LDL that is large and fluffy? If so your LDL readings aren't even bad at all. If so, you have an awesome cholesterol profile!

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Ok I am not expert, but I saw it says your LDL pattern is pattern A. Am I right that pattern A LDL is the "good" LDL that is large and fluffy? If so your LDL readings aren't even bad at all. If so, you have an awesome cholesterol profile!
    Correct, pattern A LDL is the "large/fluffy" type that is ultimately benign to the system.

Referring to Griff's Cholesterol Primer... I preface this by saying that this is the first time I've worked with cholesterol numbers in this capacity. Thus, until I've been verified by someone who actually knows this stuff, take my post with a grain of salt.

HDL: 54
    Triglycerides: 86
    Total: 271

So, since triglycerides are <100, use the Iranian equation for LDL...
    (271 / 1.19) + (86 / 1.9) - (54 / 1.1) - 38 = LDL = 185.9 or roughly 186

Now for ratios:

Total / HDL = 271 / 54 = 5.01 (ideal is 5 or below)
    Trig / HDL = 86 / 54 = 1.59 (ideal is 2 or below)
    LDL / HDL = 186 / 54 = 3.44 (ideal is 4.3 or below)

... In sum, the total cholesterol isn't a huge problem or anything, and the triglyceride numbers aren't that high (your trig/HDL ratio is in the ideal range), but if the HDL numbers could rise and the total number decrease a bit, your ratio there would be aided. How to go about that, I'm not certain since I'm no expert.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Velocity,

I see you are trying to use the Iranian equation but why? I thought the VAP test is the one that does direct measurement of LDL (i.e. its not a calculated value).
    Since the VAP measured LDL at 194 I would say it says good things about the relative accuracy of the Iranian equation.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Since the VAP measured LDL at 194 I would say it says good things about the relative accuracy of the Iranian equation.
    It does say good things about the accuracy, but it also sheds light that it isn't anywhere near perfect. That is good to know as well.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    It does say good things about the accuracy, but it also sheds light that it isn't anywhere near perfect. That is good to know as well.
    Aww, a within 1% deviation qualified as "isn't anywhere near perfect" ? Rough crowd around here!

(agree its not perfect, and that it probably isn't always within 1%, so I am now interested how well it does vary...)

MoBob is offline Member
    Hey Y'all, thanks for taking the time to comment and feedback!
    My total cholesterol is fine but I'm a little concerned about my "elevated" LDL. Getting LDL lower and HDL higher is my near term goal. Good to know LDL is pattern "A". More avocados and healthier oils might work?

I currently eat organic 3 bacon/3 eggs in the morning with fruits. BAS for lunch and meat (beef/pork/fish)/veggies for dinner. Found a couple of places that serve grass fed burgers. Moderate dark chocolates but lately been having the occasional stuff I should be staying away from: rice on my sushi and some Aldens organic ice cream. Prolly why my tri's are not as low when it was 63 last summer.

I logged fitday stuff for the first 2 weeks but can't tell you what it consists of. PB exercise plan plus racquetball.

My daily supplements include: 5000IU D plus as much sun as possible, 1000IU E, 500mg Niacin, 1400mg fish oil, 100mg co-q10, all SAM's brands.

Any comments on the remnants VDL-3???

TIA!
    MoBob
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

hey Mobob,

Clarification is in order: as we said you actually shouldn't need to worry about your LDL. There are TWO kinds of LDL: pattern A and pattern B. Pattern A is the "good" large fluffy LDL, and pattern B is the small, dense LDL that gets stuck in arterial walls and inflames them.

The way I read your report, all of your LDL is Pattern A. So, it all looks good. Your HDL is good, your LDL is good, and your trigs are good.

Of course, please validate this with a nutritionist that actually knows that there is a pattern A&B LDL and the differences between them.

MoBob is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Ya'll,

Just an update, recently had another VAP, Vit D test and Ca score:
    In summary, numbers slightly improved: Total still 271, HDL up to 66, LDL down to 187, Vit D up to 62 BUT Ca score up from 42 to 141 which suggests calcification or hardening of the arteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not heart attack zone but rationalizing due to age..???

Any comments or suggestions welcome! Can anyone comment on the Ketones 1+ (NEGATIVE) A??? Does that mean I'm burning fat vs. carbs?

Both my docs suggested Lipitor and I flat out refused and they we're OK with that over the phone..............I will see them for followups in Jan 2012.

All the best!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast