Oh.My.Goodness!!!

I just made the most delicious dish for a late lunch! I am one of those dash of this, splash of that cooks, so all amounts are approximate, sorry. BUT, if you enjoy Thai cuisine, you might want to recreate this or something like it

Mussels and Shrimp in Thai-Inspired Coconut Broth
one portion for hungry girl!

3/4 lb mussels
3/4 cup thawed med to small shrimp, peeled and cleaned
1/2 onion, large dice
4 cloves garlic, smashed to remove skins and chopped
1 med-hot or hot green or red skinny pepper or jalapeño, slice down middle, discard seeds, dice
fresh ginger (mine is stored in freezer, lasts forever that way) - I grated until I had a nice pile, probably about 1 TBS if not frozen
lemongrass (if you have it, mine is shredded and frozen) - I shaved about 1 TBS off the block
1 TBS Nam Pla (oriental fish sauce, nasty smelling stuff!)
1/2 can Coconut Milk (I only have TJ's Lite, recommend not lite)
coconut oil for sautéing
fresh cilantro if you have it (I had 4 small frozen cubes)

First, soak mussels in cold water for about twenty minutes, drain, discard any that are open and do not close and stay closed when pinched, then pull of the beard - scruffy little tough thing that hangs on some of them. Set aside.

Thaw shrimp in bowl of cold water if needed. Rinse and drain when thawed, no need to pat them dry.

Meanwhile, heat pan (I used a 10' enameled pan, could use saucepan) over med. heat, add coconut oil and melt, then add onion, garlic, pepper, sauté for a few minutes until onions translucent - do NOT burn garlic, very bitter!

Pour in coconut milk, add ginger and lemongrass (I added the frozen cilantro, if fresh then wait), stir and simmer for about 5 minutes. The broth will seem thick, do not worry, the mussels will release their nectar and thin it out beautifully!

Add mussels and cover. If using larger shrimp, add with mussels. If smaller, add after about 2 minutes, which I did.

When mussels are opened and shrimp are bright pink, empty it all into a bowl, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, and ENJOY!

Remember NOT to eat any mussels that do not open, they were dead before cooking, toss 'em.

Could serve two with a nice salad and a side veg. Next time I might throw a few handfuls fresh spinach in with the shrimp - yum!

Oh, I only added shrimp because the market did not have a whole pound or so of mussels, and I wanted to up the protein.

If you have red or green curry paste, you could use 1 - 2 TBS (to taste, I like it spicy!) instead of garlic, pepper, lemongrass and ginger. Add curry paste when you add the coconut milk.