Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementing magnesium - is calcium necessary? page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Supplementing magnesium - is calcium necessary?

Primal Fuel
    I've been sleeping poorly for a few years, and I've tried everything under the sun to try and remedy my sleep quality; turning off electronics an hour before bed (helps me get to sleep, but still sleep lightly), sticking consistently to a schedule, being completely primal, getting plenty of exercise, etc.

I think a magnesium supplement would be beneficial, because I don't eat many dark green vegetables (I like them, but I just never really get round to buying them) and dark chocolate tends to keep me awake because of its stimulative compounds.

I'll be buying a magnesium citrate supplement (NOW foods) from iherb soon, but the only thing I'm confused about is whether I should buy some calcium citrate as well (same brand). I supplement with 5000iu of Vitamin D per day, and I've read that sufficient Vitamin D levels can drastically improve the absorption of calcium.

Should I buy the calcium? If so, when should I take it? I've heard that magnesium and calcium 'compete' so to speak, so it's best to take them at different times during the day. Should I only take <500mg?

I've read the Vitamin D thread and other posts on MDA, but there doesn't really seem to be a clear answer on this. I understand that needs are individual, but I believe a general rule of thumb should exist.

Thanks!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I was always under the impression that Magnesium uptake was inhibited by Calcium. I could be wrong though.

I take a ZMA supplement every night before bed and it does help. Well, my dreams are much more dramatic and weird, which is a reported side effect of ZMA, so I am assuming that it is working as described. However, I don't eat anything with high amounts of calcium for about 3 hours before bed due to what I said at the top.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If you don't eat dairy, you may want to take ~ 500 mg (or less) of Calcium--maybe with your first meal.

peril is offline Senior Member
    What indications do you have for calcium supplementation? From my reading, calcium is rarely required if you are getting enough vitamin D and magnesium, both of which help the body to use calcium properly.

In many cases of calcium deficiency, there is sufficient calcium in the body but it is unavailable due to insufficient vitamin D and magnesium
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    What indications do you have for calcium supplementation? From my reading, calcium is rarely required if you are getting enough vitamin D and magnesium, both of which help the body to use calcium properly.

In many cases of calcium deficiency, there is sufficient calcium in the body but it is unavailable due to insufficient vitamin D and magnesium
    I was sharing my understanding, based on reading Cillakat's docs and my own nutrition research--albeit some time ago. Sorry, I don't have any links! Do you have some to your research, Peril? I'd love to update my knowledge, if I am behind the times...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    You might find this of interest:

The Delicate Dance Between Vitamins D and K

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the articles!

The only reason I even considered calcium supplementation was because it's always paired alongside magnesium when it comes to supplementation recommendations. I don't eat dairy, but I seem to have an average of about 200-300mg of calcium intake per day (tracked on FitDay), and I don't suffer from any calcium deficiency symptoms, as far as I'm aware. Would it be best just to go for the magnesium alone, then?

abcbattery is offline Junior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast